Custom Computer for Multiple SDR Receivers

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by KK4NSF, Mar 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Database Subscriber QRZ Page

Must be one of those new, fangled invisible computers. Looks like an empty case to me...

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

2. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

you don't want to see it right now. It's not very pretty. It's a maze of SATA cables, power cables, fan cables and so forth. My first priority was just getting it up and runing.

Normally all of that is hidden, but with the open chassis the tangle is there for all to see. Once I do a bit of cable managment, I'll post pictures of the finished beast.

3. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Glad it worked for you! I replaced my old ASUS Hero VII with a Hero XI Wi-Fi. Used an i7-8700 processor. My primary ham computer has an older i7-7700, which is the one I ran into problems with, but come to think of it it is a Kaby Lake processor and THAT is one that Win 7 does not fully support. I didn't know that when I bought the beast.

Corsair makes some nice water coolers, which I use on all my computers. They are easy to install and work very well. I use "Core Temp" to make sure they are cooling like they should, a nice little piece of software you can run in the background. I'm using a GeForce GT-960 video card I got a good deal on at Dayton and it has multiple outputs as well. Very nice.

Ain't it fun building computer?? :)

..................Bob

KK4NSF likes this.
  4. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

that.... and building / refurbishing radios.

5. EA1DDO

EA1DDO Ham Member QRZ Page

There are water cooling systems quite small, and the cooling power is much higher than air.

73, Maximo