ad: ARR

CTCSS mod for Henry Tempo VHF/One Plus

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by KJ9B, Jan 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KJ9B

KJ9B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello, I was given a Henry Radio Tempo VHF/One Plus 2 meter rig.  The radio is in working order, but I would like to mod this radio to be able to work with toned repeaters.  Any thoughts?

Thanks and 73,
    Ken

2. K8YS

K8YS Banned QRZ Page

wow, what an antique [​IMG]

If no one answers, I have found that the guys at CommSpec have details on almost all the older transceivers.

3. KJ9B

OK, thanks.  I'll keep that in mind.

4. WA2ZDY

WA2ZDY Guest

Yep, that is indeed an oldie now. I remember seeing one for the first time at a hamfest in 1980. A synthesised handheld! I was beside myself to imagine such wonderous technology. And in a small package like that too!!! The guy who had it represented either Henry or some more local ham retailer and he had quite the crowd surrounding him. And trust me, he was NOT letting anyone get their hands on it. If anyone was there taking orders, he wheeled a cart load of orders out with him at the end of the day.

CommSpec was going to be my suggestion also. They have tone encoders that are VERY small and come with easy-to-follow step by step instructions.

The limitation is you will either have to choose one CTCSS tone before installation and stick with it, or get one of the boards with external dip switches, and keep the chart handy for changing tones.

I doubt you'll want to mess with a board that decodes as well as encodes. Those get trickier to install. Encode only should be perfectly satisfactory.

Here's the link to the company: http://www.com-spec.com/index1.htm

Good luck.

5. KJ9B

Thanks for the link. Yup, this is an older unit, but just to clarify, this is a mobile, not hand held. Two meter, 25 watt.

Thanks again.

6. WA2ZDY

WA2ZDY Guest

Ahhhh ok . . . I was thinking Tempo S1, and that is the handheld.

Commspec makes an encoder that has a rotary switch that allows selection of any of the standard CTCSS tones. Hookup is just as easy, easier in fact because there's room to work inside a mobile rig of that era.

Good luck.

7. KJ9B

Thanks again. I think after weighing the options, I'm going to pick up a good used rig (with CTCSS), and leave the Henry in it's original state.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.