Crown Glue "Tooth"

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by KA5ROW, Jun 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
  1. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a crown come off and it was held in place with a post. The dentist tried to dig the post out but could not. He said it would need the post to stay in. So he glued it back in and said that it would not stay in very long. Where can I get some sort of dental glue to put it back in every few weeks. I need to make it last until January. I have used up my yearly quota for my dental insurance for this year. What he wants to do is make a double crown so the other crown will support the other. "$1400". insurance will pay $1000 if I wait until January.

Note: I asked one time if he has to work on a tooth that was super glued in, He said yes, and the glue is toxic and causes major problems to the existing base.
  2. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Usually the "post" that a crown sits on is formed from what is left of the tooth.
    A crown needs to be a perfect fit in all ways. If not you can have big problems from it. You run big risks to what is left of the tooth if it isn't done perfectly.
    If it dies you will need a root canal or to have it removed.
    If you think you can go 6 months with an improperly seated crown then expect and be ready to foot the bill for the worst.
    Neither the bill or your mouth will be painless!!
  3. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

When I temporarily lost my crown (and had to abdicate my throne, but that's a different story), I went to the drugstore to pick up something called "gutta percha"; it's sold under a temporary crown glue, the name of which escapes me but the pharmacist will know what it is. (I think it's called Dentemp; I've heard others use Fixodent with limited success.) It worked for weeks until I ate some Parkay margarine and got my crown back.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  4. W5JO

W5JO Ham Member QRZ Page

If you use the permanent stuff, they will be forced to cut the crown off which means a new crown, not cheap (but dentists aren't cheap anyway). That could really fowl up the works so I suggest you let your dentist put it back with temporary glue when it comes loose. Just be careful until you have the work done so you don't swallow it.

Or you could let him put a temporary on it until you are ready. That would be a long time, but don't half a** do this. Tooth loss and bridge installation is not a good thing. What does your dentist suggest?
  5. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't keep asking him to put it back every 5 to 6 weeks. He has told me we can not use the old crown. He will put a double crown in when I am ready. So one root will do most of the holding in place. He my try again to dig the old post out when I get the double don't know but I need to get by until January and I do not want to go around with out a tooth in front for 6 months. :D
  6. KC2MGH

KC2MGH Ham Member QRZ Page

Most drug stores and health & beauty sections of grocery stores have Dentemp and the like. I used it for three years when I didn't have insurance. I filled cavities and kept crowns on with it. I won't go into the details of how I cleaned and drilled my teeth.:D

My dentist, when I finally started going again, was quite surprised, but commented on the good work. It didn't take anything extra to remove the Dentemp or whatever it was that I used. It didn't do any harm to the crowns, either.

Now I always keep some around, and make sure I have it when I go camping or climbing.

Good luck.
  7. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe you should invest in a Dremel tool!:eek:
    Usually you will find that an exposed tooth from a missing crown is super sensitive to hot and cold. More so than I can stand for more than a few days! If it isn't, the tooth may be dead and it's root canal time!:mad:

This is a painful thread!!:(
  8. N7RJD

N7RJD Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm picturing a bottle of Jack and a Dremel. :eek:
  9. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you catch the episode of Deadliest Catch when Phil's kid pulled his own tooth with a pair of pliers!
    Now THAT is reality TV!!!:eek:
  10. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Subscriber QRZ Page

Forced to do that twice myself having no insurance.
    If you are in enough pain you will do it yourself.
    pain Is a great motivator.
    the angled needle nose pliers from my radio "toolkit" works well with the side of my hand clamped to my jaw for leverage.
    3rd times the charm.
  11. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

12. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

This thread is getting more and more painful!!
  13. WB3JLA

WB3JLA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

14. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Self Dentistry is NOT a good idea, and can lead to more problems than you have now. I can imagine someone with a needle file trying to do thier own Root canal. The teeth nerves are probably the most sensitive and agonizing part of the whole body. A long ways to January. I didn't see which tooth it was, but if it is a back one, a temporay crown should be possible to be installed that will last a good while. I have also experienced crowns coming off and they used a different kind of glue finally that held. DON'T SWALLOW the tooth! There is only one way to get it back, and that isn't pretty!

Also, I fnd eating popcorn is hard on teeth. I break alot of fillings that way.
    But then, being financially challenged, I eat the unpopped kernels too. Very hard to crack those open with my Molars. Usually, I just put the unpopped ones back in the Microwave oven and try again. But I have had to go back and back to the dentist because of the Popcorn!
  15. WB3JLA

I agree only a professional should look into your mouth

Don’t Monkey with your teeth

16. W7IBI

W7IBI Ham Member QRZ Page

Who the heck comes to a ham radio site for dental advice?
  17. WB3JLA

I go to Web MD for radio advise
  18. AE1PT

AE1PT Ham Member QRZ Page

Let's not even think about where that cute little monkey most certainly had placed its nasty little hands just previous to this shot...
  19. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, all you DOG LOVERS!!!!

You let the dog lick your face after he, ummm, Washed himself in unmentionable places!
  20. WB3JLA

My friend was watching my dog and said

Boy I wish I could do that

I said you probably can but

I would try and pet him first
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.