Crimp connector size for RG8x coax?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by AC0FP, Aug 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

What BNC crimp connector size do you use for RG8x coax? I believe the RG-59 connectors are supposed to fit but there is more than one RG-59 connector out there. I've ordered some made for use with RG-59 size Belden 8281 (heavily braided shield) cable, is this going to work for RG8x cable?

fp

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Be careful; the center conductor of RG8X is much larger (16AWG) than the center conductor of RG59 cables (20AWG) and the pin might not even fit the conductor at all.

The RF Connection has an RG8X crimp connector I've used and seems to work okay: P/N RFC1107-X: http://therfc.com/bnc.htm

3. AC0FP

The center wire on my RG8X is 0.055" which is around 15 or 16 gauge. I have a feeling I will have to remove a few center strands to get it to fit.

fp

4. WB2WIK

By specification, it is supposed to be #16AWG. I wouldn't remove any strands!

5. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

The RF Connection has #RFC1107-X crimp BNC for Mini-RG8: http://www.therfc.com/bnc.htm ($2.75 ea)
    Amphenol makes #31-5999-RFX for much mo money ($6.40 ea, Mouser #523-31-5999-RFX).

6. AC0FP

I'm looking for of a bargain price. I am running less than 50 watts in this cable so I don't think preparing for 1.5 kilowatts is necessary!

7. WA7PRC

I assumed you wanted to use the correct connector, regardless of power level and price. How many do you need?

8. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

BNC connectors for 75 ohm actually have a smaller pin size than 50 ohm connectors. Sometimes they don't mate up so well because of this. You can look at the pins of assembled connectors and see the difference.

You can probably buy the right connector for a decent price. Years ago, we used to buy loads of RG8X TNC connectors for the old Uniden SMR phones, but they made BNC connectors as well. IIRC, those connectors fit LMR240 and some other variants of low loss cable, so you might look for them.

http://www.tessco.com/products/displayProductInfo.do?sku=37576&eventPage=2

Joe

9. WB2WIK

The RFC connector is fine, I use them.

I recommend not cutting strands because it creates a weak point and the "cut off ends" of the strands have sharp points which can dislocate because the soft foam dielectric isn't terribly supportive. It only takes the "right" connector ($2.75) to have one that works fine and doesn't require cutting any strands.

10. AC0FP

Then there is always plan B, the UHF connector with UG-176 reducer! The nice thing about UHF connectors, they can accept a wide range of center conductor diameters. This is only for a single 20' inside run. My quick short BNC interconnection cables use RG58 and it looks like there going to stay that way.

fp

11. WA7PRC

Yep -- pocket change. Da boss had me order 10 Amphenol #31-315 (crimp BNC for RG-174, $2.50 each) to have on hand for the NEXT time we need 'em.

For my tower project, I ordered ten UHF males with the spool of feedline. Pocket change. Of course, after I'm done, I expect to have only pocket LINT left! :rolleyes:

12. KR2D

KR2D Ham Member QRZ Page

The RF Connection also sells Crimp UHF connectors for RG-8X at $1.75 each. I just bought 10 of them and they were on my front porch 20 hours after I ordered them. You can choose crimp or solder for the center conductor.

13. AC0FP

I hope the seller is close, otherwise the shipping can be a major portion of the overall cost!

fp

14. WA7PRC

How many do you need? Do you have the proper crimp tool?

15. KR2D

KR2D Ham Member QRZ Page

The RF Connection is in MD, I'm in NJ. They used a FedEx Ground box because I also bought 100 feet of RG-8X and a few other things. If it was just the connectors, they would have shipped USPS flat rate and it probably would have taken a 3 days.

If the shipper is east of the Mississippi, I never ask for Next Day or 2nd Day - UPS or FedEx ground will get here within 2 days anyway.

16. AC0FP

I have a ratcheting crimp tool for RG58 & RG59 connectors. My shipment of miscellaneous amateur supplies is supposed to arrive today so I'll see what I've got here shortly. I really only need "one" connector for the end of the RG8X cable that hooks to a BNC adapter to an "oddball" Motorola connector on a Motorola MaxTrac 300 rig that someone gave me.

fp

17. WB2WIK

I went to Home Depot and asked for a ratchet wrench and the guy said, "How do you use a wrench on that? I'd just use a vacuum cleaner.";)

18. WA7PRC

Private Message sent.

19. AC0FP

Thanks for the tip Ron. I looked up The RF Connection website and they look pretty good, I'm establishing an account. Here in KS I prefer the USPS shipping anyway and the cost from MD isn't outrageous!

fp

20. KW9W

KW9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.