CQ918FWC DX by the numbers rant

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by W7EDC, Jul 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc
  1. W7EDC

W7EDC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This isn't a specific rant against CQ918FWC, but it reminded me of a frustrating phenomenon. There will be DX station hard for me to hit, heard loud and clear later in the afternoon. Not that I could bust through a big gun pile-up that far away anyway... but when they go by numbers they seem to go in order starting at 1. By the time they get to my 7 call its super hard to hit. Maybe if they started High and went low as the sun goes I might have a chance... just my talkin outloud, nuthin personal. Seems they go the opposite direction of 'normal' propagation (what does that even mean anymore LOL). I guess its hard for a lot of East Coast guys to get JA stations.

please don't flame me, I know I need to step up if I want to play with the big boys :)
    ... just slur typing, it is Whiskey Tax Rebellion day afterall check out W3R special evnnt

2. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

That's the way it works. They aren't choosing numbers based on propagation. They do numbers to carve down the number of callers.

3. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Murphy's law!
    I have been through that in years past many times. It is annoying or frustrating but it is also just the way it is! Sometimes it depends on just how many they will work in an area before moving on to the next. Sometimes the work maybe only 5 or 10 and they move on so you never got much of a shot there either!
    I absolutely HAVE heard people that are all of a sudden "portable 1" or whatever would work at the moment. Pretty lame I thought.
    If it was all very easy everyone would be doing it...for a short while anyway.
    More a matter of determination, being aware of your best times to work them, some hard listening, and patience.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  4. K1TGX

K1TGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

no different if your a '1' and tune into them when they are on 2's and you wait and wait until propagation craps out just before they get back to 1's.

5. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

If working DX was easy, nobody would do it except those unwilling to make the effort.

K7MH and W7EDC like this.
  6. AB8MA

AB8MA Subscriber QRZ Page

Imagine being an 8 waiting for all the 6's and 7's to finish. :)

7. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

And the poor '0' calls when DX skips from 9 back to 1. :eek:

K1TGX, M0YRX and W7EDC like this.