ad: portazero-1

CQ to "Jump-Start" Print Edition With January Issue - November and December Issues to be Digital Onl

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K2HAT, Dec 28, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX Ham Member QRZ Page

Cash. Ya gotta pay for printers and mailing. Digital, not so much.

2. WB8NUT

WB8NUT Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not sure they should survive. It isn't just the constantly late paper editions of the magazine or even the skipped paper editions that warrant the lack of support from hams. It's their business practices that dictate whether or not they deserve our support. Let's review.

1.) When CQ started having issues delivering the paper magazine on-time, we were given all sorts of excuses as to the issue or issues. Now most of us believe that "production issues/problems" had nothing to do with the late or non-delivery. In other words, CQ management/ownership were not being honest with their subscribers.

2.) When subscribers requested cancellation and refunds, many had their subscriptions cancelled, but never received a refund. People did not receive what they paid for,

3.) I have read other posts over a number of years about CQ not paying authors of the magazine articles or for the publication and sale of their books.

4.) Subscribers who had lifetime subs to magazines that CQ acquired, have never received those lifetime subs.

5.) Those who had subscriptions to magazines that were consolidated into CQ, were promised the CQ extra edition or whatever it was called where you could get the extra content on the electronic copy. That was short-lived.

6.) International subscribers were just left out in cold. They just stopped receiving any paper magazines, even the late issues.

So yes, you can do what you want with your money. But the real question is, should a company which operates like this be supported by the ham community?

I would say yes only if they were up-front and honest with subscribers and customers as to the nature of the problems. Second if they would have said to subscribers and authors that they don't have the money to issue refunds or provide financial compensation so the sub would not be cancelled or authors compensated in another way (free copies of books to sell on their own or whatever). But they have never been open and honest with people, and as a result, I would say they should just close up shop and put an end to this fiasco. I just don't see things improving in the future.

Now, had they been open and honest, outlined the situation at CQ and asked for hams and ham related companies for help, I think there may have been an outpouring of assistance - I would have been one of those people. But now, it would just be too little, too late. Time to move on.

KY1K and WU8Y like this.
  3. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

[Troll ON]

April (digital) issue arrived today!

[Troll OFF]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2018
  4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah, but April issue of what year?

WB8NUT likes this.
  5. WR3V

WR3V Ham Member QRZ Page

CQ is the forum topic that just keeps giving, isn't it? If what they say about any publicity being good publicity, CQ should be swimming in dough. Maybe they are, and just don't give a crap about the print side anymore, realizing it is slowly dying.

WB8NUT likes this.
  6. G1TWS

G1TWS Ham Member QRZ Page

This months Radcom arrived today. 12 Americans have joined as new members.

Will Radcom reach peoples mailboxes before CQ Magazine? If they loaded the Radcoms on the SS Great Britain it would give CQ Magazine an even chance.

7. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

So you're saying that CQ is a Nigerian scam?

8. W8NDB

W8NDB Subscriber QRZ Page

April print edition arrived today!!!