Counties Award ... question ...

Discussion in 'QRZ Operating Awards' started by N5WRX, Sep 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. N5WRX

N5WRX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Having hunting counties since 1988 I have QSL cards from the mobile operator with multiple county conformations on them.
    A lot of the contacts were using my old call of KB8DWQ.
    I entered these contacts into my QRZ database but the mobile operators either do not use QRZ or have become silent keys.
    How can I get credit for all these counties contacts on QRZ using the signed and dated QSL cards?

William Lee N5WRX

2. W1DQ

W1DQ Logbook Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Per rules: https://www.qrz.com/page/qrz-operating-awards

Awards will be granted solely on the basis of contacts, which are recorded and confirmed by the online QRZ Logbook. Paper QSL cards or other physical documentation confirming QSO’s will not be accepted.

3. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm in the same position, and its a bit of a Catch 22.

QRZ will take LoTW stuff at face value on importing it into the QRZ database. Just give the login code and it will pull from the LoTW site, assuming you have a digital account. They won't take eQSLs. So no matter what I do, I have a split between cards, eQSLs, LoTW, and QRZ's logbook. If I'm lucky someone confirms somewhere, maybe even ALL of them. And about half don't anywhere. I've worked I don't know how many entities repeatedly to satisfy CQ, QRZ, ARRL, etc, awards programs.

But here's the problem: ARRL will also take cards for card-checking (eQSL won't, QRZ won't either), as well as the digital record in LoTW. So for an award its really cards + the database. But QRZ only takes the database capture from LoTW.

The fix would be if LoTW would allow 'cards' to be put into the database. Have a real certified card-checker do that for a fee. I'd go for it! But noooooooooo, they won't.

For example, I worked a ham in Delaware (I'm in 7 land with a 3 call). He didn't use LoTW but would send a QSL card. So for almost 2 years my LoTW total for Worked All States said '49'. But if I went to a hamfest and brought that card (or sent it in), I had all 50 for Award Credit.

And I would say it really didn't matter, but all the sudden I was within a few QSOs of WAS-40m. WAS-digital. Etc. So I better not ever lose this card in transit.

Lesson-learned: I just found another Delaware ham who had LoTW, and once he confirmed I had all 50 states in the database. Hamspots allows to search by state, band, and what QSL method, and how frequently they have updated it.

4. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think a QSL is a written confirmation of a contact. If you want one from me, expect it to come via USMail in a written format. I expect the same. And naturally, you have to talk to me to get one. That confirmation can be a sentence or two on plain paper, a fancy card, or carved in wood (yeah, right!), but it's got to be a physical confirmation or it don't count.