Could have been scammed...Well almost

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KF7KBN, Apr 6, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
  1. VE3QN

VE3QN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I thought I had done my due diligence by checking on QRZ.com and Google maps but the most obvious search - on Google - I seemed to have passed over and it has cost me $450 to a scam. I listed my desire for a Flex 1500 on a Canadian swap shop website and a few days later got an offer of one for $US 450 from someone claiming to be Daniel T. Smart and showing the call WD0EMN. The rest is history. Clearly I've learned my lesson - the hard way !! I have documented all my correspondence and will happily include my experience with those of any others trying to pursue this.

2. WA3LKN

WA3LKN Ham Member QRZ Page

One thing about Outlook is they're a Microsoft product, and you can actually communicate with someone in their fraud division who has brains and speaks English.

I had somebody assume my ham radio identity a couple years ago by using my ham call letters@outlook.com, and I was getting calls from hams asking about equipment I didn't own and wasn't selling.

I contacted the folks at Outlook, explained the situation to them in simple terms, and they simply blocked the e-mail address. Gone. Done. I had to provide multiple pieces of ID, like scanning in my passport facesheet, driver's license etc. to prove who I was but the whole affair was painless and fast.

If they're scamming you on Outlook you can get that solved and fast.

3. KF7KBN

KF7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

I was contacted Friday by a ham in Boston MA who nearly got bit by the same scammer, using the same song and dance he tried to use with me. Fortunately this guy saw the warning signs early and got on QRZ and saw my post.... Same scam, instead this time he wanted to trade " his radio" a Yaesu FTDX 5000 for the victim's K3 and $1000.00. I guess he wanted the would be victim to send him the $1000.00 and then the scammer would send the Yaesu and as soon as the victim got the Yaesu, he was to turn around and send the K3 back. The 1000.00 was to be sent by wire transfer to the scammers bank account. ( Thing is, there was never a Yaesu FTDX5000 to send to the scam victim , just a picture in an e mail )...And if the victim sent the K3 to the address the scammer was using, it never would get to the scammer... Thomas D Smart would suddenly find a K3 show up at his house in Houston TX., from Boston MA with no explanation ......and the scammer ( Daniel T Smart ) who lives in another state altogether, would have got off scott free with a thousand dollars in his pocket. When the victim said no, he'd rather do PayPal. The scammer said ok but send it " Friends and Family" so he wouldnt incur any fees on his end..... that caused another red flag and when the Boston ham asked him for a copy of his Texas drivers license, there was no reply or contact afterwards from the scammer. The guy acts like he's WD0 EMN and has that call sign in his e mail address but it's really not him. The real WD0 EMN does NOT have an e mail address using any webmail address like Outlook, Hotmail, Yahoo or gmail. The real guy has an e mail provided by his actual ISP... I know it and the QRZ moderator knows it. With the help of others who have been scammed by this guy, or nearly so, I have compiled quite a bit of background and other important information, enough to go to the attorney general with. This guy knows radios enough to kinda know what he's talking about.... he picks out a high end radio, reads the spec sheet on it and whatever else he can get in print.... find's a picture on the web and uses Photoshop on the picture ... blows the picture way up and then adds a masked layer with a font that when its done and brought back down to normal size, looks just like a piece of paper with hand written WD0EMN in front of the radio. Unless you use a photo editing program or can zoom the picture up at least 4-6 times normal size, you cant tell it... but when you do zoom the size of the picture you can see the dead row of pixels around the edge of the "paper". It's an unavoidable side effect of doctoring a picture by inserting something else in front of it. If the real radio was actually there, that effect would not be there.

AJ4GQ likes this.
  4. VE3QN

VE3QN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm a bit confused by this as, in my experience, I find WD0EMN listed on QRZ.COM and showing the name and address used by the scammer. The name and address he is using match the FCC record accessible from the QRZ.COM listing. What am I missing here?

5. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

The call sign we're referring to is WD0ENM.

6. KF7KBN

QRZ Forums
    KF7KBN, VE3QN replied to a thread you are watching at QRZ Forums.

[​IMG]

KN7S
    Since the call does not and and has never existed on QRZ, there would not be an ad here.
    I'm a bit confused by this as, in my experience, I find WD0EMN listed on QRZ.COM and showing the name and address used by the scammer. The name and address he is using match the FCC record accessible from the QRZ.COM listing. What am I missing here

WD0EMN Is a real ham...I have talked to him a couple of times...His name is Thomas Doug Smart... The scammer I've been talking about is posing as him. The difference is instead of using the name Thomas D Smart as it's shown in QRZ...He's calling himself Daniel T Smart...In essence, confusing people by flipping the first and middle initials around...Using the D as Daniel. This guy is using a Chase bank account in Houston under that name..Further making people think he's the legit ham operator with an account on QRZ. The fact is..The real ham listed on QRZ has not posted anything at all on QRZ since 2011 and DOES NOT have any radio equipment for sale ...Period! The real ham contacted the bank about the account number I gave him to see what he could do about the scammer pretending to be him. Because the names are similar but not exact. The bank will do nothing, they don't care...The only way they will care is if the fraud department of the FBI gets involved or the States Attorney does. When Thomas called the FCC and complained about this guy using HIS, call sign WD0EMN in a Microsoft Outlook e mail address...Their one and only question was...Is the guy using the call sign on the air...Tom said not to his knowledge. Told them the scammer is just leading people to believe that they are the same person in his attempts to sell fictitious ham gear...Gear he doesn't and hasn't ever had. FCC response...If he's not using the call on the air...Which I believe is a form of identity theft...The FCC does not care...Only if the scammer is using the guys call on the radio, over the air, do they care
    Hide quoted text

On Apr 19, 2017 11:29 AM, "QRZ Customer Support" <support@qrz.com> wrote:
    QRZ Forums
    KF7KBN, VE3QN replied to a thread you are watching at QRZ Forums.

[​IMG]

KN7S
    Since the call does not and and has never existed on QRZ, there would not be an ad here.
    I'm a bit confused by this as, in my experience, I find WD0EMN listed on QRZ.COM and showing the name and address used by the scammer. The name and address he is using match the FCC record accessible from the QRZ.COM listing. What am I missing here?
    View This Thread Unread Watched Threads
    Please do not reply to this email. You must visit QRZ Forums to reply.

This message was sent to you because you opted to watch the thread Could have been scammed...Well almost at QRZ Forums with email notification of new replies. You will not receive any further emails about this thread until you have read the new messages.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you may disable emails from this thread or disable all emails.

http://forums.qrz.com/index.php

7. KF7KBN

Ok....Let's make this very clear for all the confused hams out there... There is a scammer...Pretending to be Thomas D Smart in Houston TX...Ok? He calls you after a couple e mails with a 281 area code...Also from Houston...It is a spoofed number and often has a really crappy connection...But the Houston phone number and the Houston address on QRZ has you on the hook..Fine....And OMG the guy is e mailing you with an e mail with the call sign WD0EMN....It IS a legit e mail address but.... It is NOT the real ham operator on QRZ's e mail address. The real operator on QRZ has a swbell.net address.... NOT an Outlook.com address. The bank the scammer is using is a Chase bank in Houston...Further making you think your wife transfer to him is legit right? WRONG! ITS ALL PRETEND...THE BANK IS REAL..THE SCAMMER IS REAL...HE DOES NOT HAVE THE RADIO HES TRYING TO SELL YOU. You are spending money on a picture the scammer sends you with Tom's call sign on it..Only he wants you to wire money to Daniel T Smart....If anyone is interested...PM me and I'll send you the scammers bank account information...If it matches the one he wants you to use..The Best thing you can do is contact your local FBI office and your State Attorney General office.

8. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Joel,
    In your initial posting here you reported the call as WD0ENM. That call does not exist. WD0EMN does exist. WD0EMN has no postings on any QRZ forums.
    This is obviously an e-mail scam of someone masquerading as WD0EMN.