ad: wmr-1

Could a new licence counter threats at VHF and above?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jun 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

Could a new licence counter threats at VHF and above?

Concerns have been raised recently by IARU Region 1 about potential threats to the amateur radio 144 MHz and higher bands

Activity levels in 144 MHz and the higher bands have plummeted in the past 20 years. Increasingly we are seeing commercial interests seeking to gain access to what some might regard as "little used" amateur spectrum.

Several countries have already adopted an Entry Level Licence requiring some 7 hours training (roughly half that required for 2019 UK Foundation), the results have been encouraging. The entire course and a straight-forward 20 question 30 minute test could be completed in a single day instead of the two full days plus one evening typically required for UK Foundation courses.

Entry Level Licences are set to meet the requirements laid down in ITU Recommendation M.1544 which defines the minimum levels of operational and technical knowledge for a person wishing to operate a station in the amateur services.

Such a licence could permit operation at low power, say 10 watts, on all amateur bands above 50 MHz. Such licences would transform activity levels on these bands.

2018 Could a new Entry Level Licence boost VHF/UHF activity?
    http://www.southgatearc.org/news/20...ntry-level-licence-boost-vhf-uhf-activity.htm

You can download ITU Rec M.1544 from
    https://www.itu.int/rec/R-REC-M.1544-1-201509-I/en

IARU-R1 say WRC-23 Agenda Items may impact 144 MHz and 1240 MHz bands
    https://amsat-uk.org/2019/06/11/wrc-23-agenda-items-144-1240-mhz-bands/

France proposes 144-146 MHz for Aeronautical Mobile Service
    http://www.southgatearc.org/news/20...4-146-mhz-for-aeronautical-mobile-service.htm

Trevor M5AKA

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2019/june/could-a-new-licence-counter-threats-at-vhf-and-above.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

VK3GOR likes this.
  2. WY7BG

WY7BG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I do not understand why VHF might be "little used" in Europe. In the US - a much larger nation where VHF won't easily span a state much less the entire country - one would think it would be LESS popular, but 2m is in fact the most popular band here. The low cost of entry (due to cheap Chinese radio gear) and ease of mobile and handheld use contribute to its popularity. Why are things different across the pond? Is there a lack of repeaters? Are the rules overly restrictive?

KD2QQF, KC8TMW, K7LTF and 1 other person like this.
  3. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

The causes can be summarised in "lack of interest".

Gear has never been cheaper, and exams never been easier, but there is very little interest.

It is estimated that of the total of 65 that got their new callsigns in this country during 2018 only 7 have become active.

With this low yield, it is only a waste of time and resources to introduce new licence classes.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

AG5CK, KD0QG, G3ZPF and 1 other person like this.
  4. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yea, we need to utilize the people we have. Beginners here often get their license after being prodded along, they get the chance to get on the air with an inexpensive handheld radio that has rather limited range with simplex or more extended with traditional repeaters. Dead FM repeaters equals boredom and dropping out. If HF would extend their abilities, they are assigned HF access on bands that are just flatline during the sunspot minimums and at much greater cost and a large antenna footprint. We are hoping some of the digital voice modes may enhance their interests as old school 2M FM is facing the fact that a tiny cellphone normally has vastly greater abilities. When I got into it decades ago, it was practically cutting edge as far as personal hobby communications was concerned. I still don't perceive a great threat to the lower VHF ham bands in the USA. Due to the physics of the thing, commercial interests want to gobble up shorter wavelengths from us. I don't see 144 Mhz cellphones in the future any more than cellphones in the spectrum of the AM broadcast band. Trunked UHF comms have left even the VHF commercial bands underused, it seems. What can you still hear between 30-50, 150-170? Some old school pagers, utilities, military, and trains. And noise from cheap imports.

K7LTF likes this.
  5. EA4GM

EA4GM Ham Member QRZ Page

[QUOTE = "G4TUT, post: 5101351, miembro: 14588"] ¿Podría tener una nueva licencia para contrarrestar las respuestas en VHF y superiores?

La Región 1 de IARU ha planteado inquietudes acerca de las posibles comunicaciones a la radio de 144 MHz y bandas más altas

Los niveles de actividad en 144 MHz y las bandas más altas se han desplomado en los últimos 20 años. Cada vez más estamos viendo los intereses comerciales que buscamos obtener acceso a los que se ven como un espectro de aficionados "poco usado".

Varios resultados han sido aprobados por la Fundación del Reino Unido para el año 2019, los resultados han sido alentadores. El curso completo y una prueba directa de 20 preguntas y 30 minutos se completan en un solo día en el lugar de los días completos en una noche que generalmente se requiere para los cursos de la Fundación del Reino Unido.

M.1544 de la UIT, que define los niveles de conocimiento operativo y técnico para una persona que desea operar una estación en los servicios de aficionados.

Dicha licencia podría permitir la operación a baja potencia, por ejemplo, 10 vatios, en todas las bandas de aficionados por encima de 50 MHz. Cuentos de licencias que transforman los niveles de actividad en estas bandas.

2018 ¿Podría tener una nueva licencia de nivel de entrada impulsar la actividad VHF / UHF?
    http://www.southgatearc.org/news/20...ntry-level-licence-boost-vhf-uhf-activity.htm

Puede descargar la Rec. M.1544 de la UIT desde
    https://www.itu.int/rec/R-REC-M.1544-1-201509-I/en

IARU-R1 dice que los puntos del orden del día de la CMR-23 pueden afectar a las bandas de 144 MHz y 1240 MHz
    https://amsat-uk.org/2019/06/11/wrc-23-agenda-items-144-1240-mhz-bands/

Francia propone 144-146 MHz para el servicio móvil aeronáutico
    http://www.southgatearc.org/news/20...4-146-mhz-for-aeronautical-mobile-service.htm

Trevor M5AKA

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2019/june/could-a-new-licence-counter-threats-at-vhf-and-above.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [/ CITAR]
    La migración hacia las bandas y modos de DMR están causando verdaderos estragos en 2 mts. sin estar en contra de las nuevas tecnologías, hay que reconocer que la gente no cuida lo que tiene, lo abandona, y cuando lo pierde, se lamenta, la culpa es nuestra.

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

As many of you know, I have been warning about re-allocations for years.

I would be surprised by a 2m re-allocation or reduction in the US. Our natural disasters tend to lend themselves (unfortunately) to wide use of 2M.

I fear that the new digital modes will be invoked as justification for re-allocation--we are not using the spectrum. This is especially acute on 6m where 90% of activity has all dumped on 50.313. This happened in a matter of months, in 2017, and now the CW band is dead--no takers.

The best we can do is be radio-active, now.

KA2FIR, KD0CAC, KT4RK and 3 others like this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I have to confess that I am pretty tired of hearing "commercial interests" being invoked as some vaporous 'enemy'. Dead wrong. The "commercial interests" are carriers for subscribers. Hundreds of thousands; millions. The "commercial interests" are a mere conduit for that activity.

If you don't USE your spectrum allocation, then what is the justification given the SUBSCRIBER needs?

Look: friends in industry continue to try to steer the ship away from the ham bands. But its up to us to show use.

Chip W1YW

VA3RD, AC2RT, WN1MB and 4 others like this.
  8. AI5DH

AI5DH Ham Member

AMEN.

VHF, UHF, and Microwave are line of sight which is perfect medium for carriers serving literally billions of people and creating millions of high paying jobs. Those frequencies are worth billions even trillions of dollars, save countless lives/property, and generate huge commerce revenues. Think of it like the Interstate Highway system. Use it or loose it.

N0AMY likes this.
  9. WY7BG

WY7BG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Land is the perfect medium for billions of dollars' worth of development. So, why have parks?

KF1P, N7KO, WA1ZMS and 1 other person like this.
  10. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I will save up all my worry about loosing a band till when there is a concrete/legitimate reason to spend that worry. I haven't seen any of that concrete/legitimate thingy yet. Someone remind me when it happens. There have been 'hint's about it happening for the last 50 some-odd years. It hasn't happened yet. And yes, I'm aware of the 220 mess.

W2CSI, N3HOE and N7KO like this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

We have been losing spectrum in the 'superhighs' since 1967. You just haven't noticed, apparently.

KQ6XA likes this.
  12. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My son (Adam) who is 12 years old, has been studying the last several weeks to pass the Tech license, (No memorization), actually learning the material. Adam will take the exam this Saturday, I am willing to bet, if you could take a 20 questions, 30 minute class, he would take the easy path...

My son through this process has never been more proud of himself. He worked hard to learn, and has been learning a ton...Although this is not his passion, but wanted to learn what Dad does on that Ham set!

However, with these easy paths to obtain the Ham license this will only take away the fulfillment of passing the exam.

Wish my son luck on Saturday! (June 22th)..

C U on the bands, NN2X, Tom

KB2SMS, K0TWA, KT4RK and 5 others like this.
  13. KD0QG

KD0QG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The big push now I see is to turn Tecks into General or Extras quickly? What was expected?... I remember some Tecks that claimed Tone Deft or just couldn't make the 13 wpm and put their effort into VHF/UHF with towers, beam Antennas, SSB, Digipeters and such. It was a 300 mile trip to the FCC office and I misqued and missed the first part of the 13 wpm test though I thought I was ready. I thought I probably would be a lifetime Teck also. I was a wide area route driver at that time and 2 meters and being able to use wide area repeaters was what I was originally after and code was just a way to get it?..... But because I was used to the HF operations I desired to upgrade. And a few more years and another 300 mile trip I went from Teck to Advanced in one setting. I had no problem with the 20 wpm but didn't make the written Extra... Oh a 1x2 call would have been nice but not worth trying it again for only a few extra frequency and I set the keyer on the shelf and haven't been on the air in CW since. ...What I see is the push to quickly get Tecks then quickly then turn them into General or Extras?.... I have a son that is studying for the Extra test but hasn't been on HF yet and I am hearing this some now. Most of that activity I hear around here on 2 meter and 440 is mostly older hams.. 2 meters can be a lot of fun especially if you find others to experiment with you enroure..'73..

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    WB4M likes this.
  14. KN4DQE

KN4DQE Ham Member QRZ Page

Well - if some entity decided to take away my 2 meter privilege - I could only imagine the countless lawsuits (class action?) that it would spawn for the sheer fact that there are hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of people that have significant capital investment involved in the 2 meter band. All of the HT's that are hard coded to only transmit on the correct frequencies would need to be re-flashed (potentially) - and think of all of the companies out there that would no longer support their products (requiring users to purchase "new" equipment). IMO this would disenfranchise a lot of people away from amateur radio!

KT4RK likes this.
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

The complaints would likely be deemed lacking in merit.

There were big investments in 11m in the 50's... and we lost all that to CB. So the precedent is there.

K5HS likes this.