Correct or move on?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KI6J, Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. KI6J

KI6J Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems like every CW QSO I get into, I butcher a word or two, or more. Sometimes I send a couple of dits and correct the letter, sometimes I correct the whole word, and sometimes I just let it go and keep sending.

Each mistake is a judgment call, and sometimes I find myself getting jammed up making the call. It's a new skill I'm developing I guess. It's still a conscious decision. It boils down to whether the OP on the other end already knows what I mean.

Does this skill get developed to the point of unconscious action? By the time that happens do you make so few mistakes that you don't need the skill any longer?

2. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

Mistake? What's that? ;):D

When I was a novice, I used to send eight dits and start again with the last word I'd sent correctly. This gets tiresome when you've improved your code speed, and I noticed that on some traffic nets, the older, more experienced hams would send ..._. and start with the word they'd made the error on.

This was with full QSK in that everybody had a separate transmitter and receiver. You could hear the other stations in between your own dits if they needed a fill or repeat. Worked fine.

I still use SN, or VE, or IR (..._.) and start with the word I misspelled. Haven't had any complaints.

3. KI6J

KI6J Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks KBN,

The ? or the SN from the other station sure makes it clear that it is not my copy that is faulty, and I appreciate that. It does get tedious though when the other OP (and NEVER me) are making a lot of mistakes.

I guess the stop making mistakes plan is the best plan.

4. KE5FRF

KE5FRF Ham Member QRZ Page

You will never quit making mistakes. :D

I only correct myself if I think the word is important enough to spell correctly. I DO ALWAYS correct my callsign if I send an error. If I'm spelling a word with a D and send a B by mistake or a 6 when I meant a B, I won't always correct it. I actually try to avoid corrections unless my sending is just sloppy.

5. KA5LQJ

KA5LQJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Misteaks? Waz that? LOL!

A wise old cowboy once told me, "Son, the folks that don't make mistakes are the folks who never do anything." Well, I'm working "overtime" at it, LOL!

I don't worry about mistakes, your gonna make them. Lord knows I love to mispiel werds, jest fore funn. When I first got on-line and started talking to folks on AOL (Yeah, I hear you groaning...) My fingers got ahead of my typing and I misspelled a lot. Other folks did too, we called it "Typonese". Typo being an error, and "ese" as a "language". I've gotten pretty good at it, so when an op misspells a word, I still KNOW what they are talking about.

So, keep on Truckin' and if another op wants to make something of it? There's a whole lot more frequency spectrum to move on to and talk with someone like me, LOL!

GOD BLESS,

Don/KA5LQJ

6. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't worry, of course they know what you mean if they've been around for a while. Most Morse code operators just send the same stuff all the time, that's why they call them rubber stamp QSO's ! They know what you're going to send before you send it, apart from your call.

G0GQK

7. WA4FNG

WA4FNG Ham Member QRZ Page

When I'm on the receiving end, I'd prefer to just get the corrected letter, not always the whole word. As most said, we generally know what the word is already and it saves time. If I'm copying someone new to CW I don't really care if they back up and start the whole sentence over -- they'll get the hang of it over time.
    Milt

8. KE6SLS

KE6SLS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Keep letting it Go Stu. My CW got rusty and I'll snaffu a word or two, if it is a simple error, I let it go, my receiving station will catch it. If I really wonk a word, then I will stop the word transmission and restart it--I don't bother with the dit dit dit dit any more.

The best advice I can offer is relax and just understand we are human, not computers and I REALLY rather work a human any time OM!

9. WR8D

WR8D Ham Member QRZ Page

Just send a dot or two and keep on hammer'n. We all do it...

10. K1DNR

K1DNR Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm just getting back into CW after many, many years away from it. I have nights like tonight where my fist is just awful and I make a lot of mistakes.

It happens more when I'm tired, and also when I don't properly orient myself at the desk...

I think the insight you are seeking is found by thinking about what other ops feel like to you - do they make mistakes? Do they correct themselves? Do you think they needed to correct themselves, or was is redundant?

I'm constantly sending 5 dits instead of four for the letter H. I don't correct that. Its pretty obvious I think, QT5 is New York - you still knew what I meant...

Sometimes a V will come out dit dit dit dit dah - if I was saying VY Nice QSO I might not bother to correct that.

Then there are nights like tonight (I worked some slower operators, and some really fast DX - so I was adjusting the keyer from nearly 30 down to 13 wpm... a huge range...) and I was messing stuff up all over the place. It was embarrassing. You know you sound like crap when you answer someone's CQ and they tell you they have to go to bed on the second go around!

Here's a lesson I learned from music - and it took a long, long, long time to learn this lesson. The reason the lesson is hard to learn is because of ego and stubborness.

The lesson is that sometimes you just have to slow down. In fact, when practicing a musical instrument it is counterproductive to go too fast -

The reason it is counterproductive is because you are practicing making mistakes!

Your goal should be to send flawless code, all the time - in the sense that you are never "practicing" your mistakes. Of course we have to push ourselves to go a little faster... but don't go past that threshold where you are still 95% in control.

The muscle has memory. Traces in the brain that are etched, and certain movements - whether playing the piano or sending code - become automatic. You can actually "learn" your mistakes. Don't do that...

Easy does it, day by day, etc, etc...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.