Cool analog tricks

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by KL7AJ, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Despite all the clever DSP and other digital technologies out there, it's easy to forget all the cool developments happening in the analog world. Lots of hams and other humans equate "high tech" with "digital" and assume that any new developments...the next thing must ALWAYS be digital. Who says?

Here are some of the amazing things happening in the analog world that may have the potential of changing the world far more than the "digital revolution" ever did. Just a sampling.

1) Non-silicon semiconductors. There are dozens of new "pseudo-organic" semiconductor materials out there the blow silicon out of the water, performance wise. The one thing Silicon has going for it is that it'
    Solid state technology did not begin with silicon....and it wont end there either.

2) Graphene: Shape-shifting form of carbon. So new and bizarre that many of its properties don't even have a NAME.

3) Adaptive IC's. Integrated circuits that can "rewire" themselves internally on the fly, forming virtual "synapses" similar to human brains. Neither digital nor analog.

4) Photon Entanglement: At this time, a physical curiosity, that will eventually lead to practical addition to completely altering our understanding of the universe. One of the implications of photon entanglement is that fundamental particles....commonly understood to be basically "interchangeable parts" actually have UNIVERSALLY UNIQUE other words, every subatomic particle in the universe very likely has an absolutely unique "IP address."

5) Magneto Hydrodynamic Servos (MHD motors). Graphene may enable the manufacture of practical, microscopic hydraulic actuators with HUGE amounts of force to weight ratios. Imagine flying robotic gnats.

6) Clockless computers. The major bottleneck in computer speed is the clocking and timing. Eliminate the clock, and you eliminate the bottleneck. The way to eliminate the need for clocking is to use ANALOG computational methods... but on the molecular basis.
  2. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Won't that make it a bit (pun) difficult to keep track of them all?

We might have to find some bigger numbers than googol.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
  3. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Tom, Just keep adding 1.
  4. K8ERV

I am out of 1s. Maybe I could add 2 but half as often?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
  5. N8CPA

N8CPA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Eric, I always suspected you were analog retentive. Welcome to the club. :)
  6. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

There is the Googolplex.

Also, A Googol is 10 to the 100th power. It is estimated that there are only 10 to the 87th power particles in the universe.
  7. K8ERV

But they are still counting. And I think they missed a few. They are in my basement.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
  8. W9JEF

W9JEF Ham Member QRZ Page

Digital is all about analog. But not visa-versa.
  9. N0SYA

N0SYA Ham Member QRZ Page

I knew it! Light is a liquid! Prolly has something to do with that elmo bumpy torus and bucky fullers.
  10. KC2SIZ

KC2SIZ Ham Member QRZ Page

So, so true. And thanks for the post.
  11. KL7AJ

Yer Weccum. Tis an exciting time to be alive and in technology...of any kind. I think materials engineering is going to surpass computer technology pretty soon. They can now make metal tubes so small they can deliver medication into a single cell. Sure beats trepanning or bloodletting. :)
  12. G4SKO

G4SKO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

They can't be in your basement, they're in my basement. Hang on! isn't there something about matter and it's location and time?................Are you in my basement?
  13. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Trepanning; we need that like we need a hole in the head.
  14. KL7AJ

Very good! :)
  15. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I always thought the analog shift registers of the seventies and eighties had a promising future.
    Those are very cool devices.
  16. N0WYO

N0WYO Ham Member QRZ Page

There's some in my back yard. I think the dog left it behind...
  17. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of the missing bits may be in dark corners of my garage between the HRO/m reciever and the 6 GHz pulse RF test generator.
  18. KJ6LFD

KJ6LFD Ham Member QRZ Page

When one of my kids was a teenager, and quite nerd competent, he wanted to play his electric guitar on the line input on his stereo. The impedance and level were all wrong. I showed him how to fix that with an op amp. He said "Cool. Do you know how hard that would be to do with digital?"

He also learned that a 50 cent op amp had to be wrapped in $20 worth of parts to make it go.
  19. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Subscriber QRZ Page

I want a Scanimate.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.