ad: elecraft

Controlling IC-746Pro from HDR or WSJT-X?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KJ4TX, Feb 27, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KJ4TX

KJ4TX Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anyone know if the Icom IC-746Pro can be controlled from either HRD or WSJT-X through the 6 pin data port?

I hooked up a SignaLink USB through the 6 pin data port yesterday and with WSJT-X I can send and receive but I can't control the radio to change bands. I tried using HDR but it wouldn't talk to the radio (only tested for a short period with HDR before quitting for the night).

The reason I'm using the 6 pin data port rather than the 8 pin accessory port is I want to do digital on 2 meters and I read you have to use the data port for that.

I checked the radio and have the CI-V set to 19200, CI-V address at 66h, CI-V Transceive turned On and I tried turning CI-V 731 mode to On as well although the manual says this is only needed when connecting to the IC-735. And I also set USB to Data mode. I can't find anything else to change or turn on that looks like it has to do with external radio control.

I know it has to be something in the software or radio settings but I haven't figured it out yet. Has anyone set up a IC-746Pro to digital and software control?

Mike

2. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

What do you have plugged into the CI-V connector in the rear of the IC-746Pro?

The SignaLink USB handles all the signals for digital modes, but rig control is a separate issue. I don't think the IC-735 setting is going to bother anything, but to control the rig you need something like "The Valley Enterprises FTDI USB Chipset Icom Two-Way Radio Programming Cable CI-V Cat CT-17".

I run a IC-735 using a home brew interface for the digital modes and for the CI-V rig control. For rig control I built a small RS-232 to TTL 4 transistor converter in a box, that connects to a USB to Serial Port Converter cable. But I built my interface a long time ago. The cable linked above would replace all of that. It is equivalent to the Icom CT-17, which can handle 4 rigs, except that its for only one rig.

I don't operate WSJT-X, but I do use HRD for PSK and CW and I access the IC-735 through the 8-pin accessory cable. But the connectors are slightly different on the IC-746Pro. It does look like you can use either one (8 or 6-pin) for digital modes as long as you set everything up correctly.

You may be mistaking the reference to "Data" on page 78 of the manual with the "Data" that controls the rig. The "Data" in the accessory connectors is your communication data, not your rig control data.

3. KJ4TX

Well, you may be on to something, Martin. I don't have anything plugged into the CI-V control jack. I use a USB cable between my IC-7600's USB port and computer and don't need to use that port and didn't think about it for the IC-746Pro. Duh! I've got one on order and will give that a try. Thanks for the help.

Mike

4. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had that setup and you just need the CI-V cable, be sure to get a FTDI cable, not a prologis, they don't work.

5. KJ4TX

Yes, I read the messages about the prologis and other poor CI-V cables and bought a FTDI (so it says) off of a company that sells them on Amazon. At least all of the verified buyer reviews were good with it. It will be here on Tuesday. Thanks for pointing it out though as someone else might read the thread and not know about it.

Mike

6. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, the link I provided was to a FTDI cable. While it is listed on Amazon, they don't stock everything. They rely heavily on other companies that have the product. Every time I buy something from them, it seems to come from a different company. When I by three or four things at one time, they all come from different places.

Be careful of Amazon Prime. I have accidentally signed up for that service twice. I had to call them to cancel it, when I noticed it in my credit card statement. I never used it, so I got a complete refund both times. But I can't figure out how it happened.

However, since we are noting this for others that might read it, "prologis" is the wrong name. Prologis is a industrial real estate developer. The correct name is "prolific". While it is true that some do not work properly, it is not true for all. I have three "prolific" USB to Serial Port Converter cables. Two of them work just fine for CI-V communication. All of them work fine for toggling PTT, CW Keying, and other serial communications. I have used them on XP, Windows 7, and currently Windows 10.

However, if you have a choice between a FTDI cable or a "prolific" cable, the safer bet is the FTDI cable.

7. K4VLF

K4VLF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

HRD works great with my ProII. I run a serial port from pc to the 1/8" socket on the rear of the radio. Signalink goes to one of the DIN type connections. Wonderful system!

8. N9SD

N9SD Ham Member QRZ Page

I know this thread is three years old, but I am having the same problem. My IC746pro is talking to the N3FJP logging program no problem at all. But when I try to control the rig from WSJT-X or fldigi, I cannot get either program to talk to the radio. I can make QSO's just fine on both modes, but cannot get rig control to work. The settings for rig control in WSJT-X and fldigi are identical to the settings in N3FJP.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

9. W5DXP

W5DXP Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you have the CI-V cable? If so, you might try FLrig for rig control - it has a lot of troubleshooting features.

10. N9SD

N9SD Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks - I just installed and configured flrig and it works great. Even with fldigi I can connect to flrig for rig control. But still can't from within WSJT-X. Grrr....