ad: UR5CDXcom-1

Contests ?

Discussion in 'QRZ Operating Awards' started by K8NIV, May 6, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. K8NIV

K8NIV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Have a question for you guys on all the contests that's going on or has in the past.........

Why do these guys always just want your call sign and the state you are in ?....

They never do confirm a contact with you, so we can get credit for working the state or states we need..
    Reason asking, I was one of the new guys myself, trying to work all the 50 states, and have ran into this several times, it gets old....

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Look them up on QRZ and see what their QSL policy is. Many contest stations ONLY USE LoTW!!! Not everyone uses QRZ Log. If you use LoTW, you can then go to settings on your QRZ log and download the LoTW confirmations into QRZ and they will then count.

But if you don't use LoTW, your confirmation rate from contest stations is going to be very very low.

And a number of contest stations don't log generically at all!! They simply submit their log to the contest sponsor for scoring.

Good luck

Dave
    W7UUU

N7ANN likes this.
  3. K8NIV

Thanks, thats what I have been doing all a long, using QRZ and LOTW..

N7ANN likes this.
  4. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess that everyone has different expectations and/ or experiences.

Way back when I was a newbie, I realized that most contest stations were actually the best QSL'ers. Of course that is a generalization, back before everyone had a computer in the shack. But I must still say that for the most part, contest stations always returned QSL's that I requested.

These days, I usually gt my confirmations via LOTW. I am a casual contest operator. I do not usually have a large log to up load, but I normally do upload my logs to the contest sponsor, LOTW and QRZ almost immediately after a contest. I see confirmations from about 50- 90% of the fellows within days. Like Dave said though, some folks never seem to confirm a contact at all. Life is like that.

Don't sweat it the confirmations will come or they will not. Either way, life still goes on doesn't it?

After all, even though some folks will be upset at this, ham radio is a hobby and as such, it's not life altering one way or the other.

73 OM!

5. K8NIV

Yeah, I no, but it's always nice to have a confirmed contact, especially if it's a state or country you need...
    I do enjoy the hobby, and love working that dx too...

6. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

hang in there - keep working 'em. Get dupes of the same state/country. Never rely on "just one" of something very common like a US state. Or a common DX like a JA or G DL or IZ3 - work all you hear, upload all you work to LoTW. It just takes time - sooner or later you'll get a confirmation that you need.

Good luck

Dave
    W7UUU

K8NIV likes this.
  7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

They always want your callsign but don't always want your state. What they want (aside from your callsign) depends on the contest.

Q: What else do they want?
    A: The WA7BNM Contest Calendar (http://www.hornucopia.com/) lists almost all contests, showing the important details, in a uniform format.

FWIW, at the moment, there are a couple of very active QSO parties... New England and 7th Area. If you're in those areas, you send other stations your state & county abbreviation. If you're outside those areas, you send only your state abbreviation.

W7UUU and K8NIV like this.
  8. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

If receiving confirmations is a big priority, I suggest you not depend on contests. Make one-on-one QSOs, with actual conversations. You know, actually get to know someone. Conversational contacts frequently yield replies to my requests. Don't overlook the fact that in contests, especially the most popular contests, speed rules. No serious competitor wastes seconds giving non-essential info, and questions (other that call or exchange confirmation) are frowned upon.