ad: M2Ant-1

Contests - and no keyers

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions and Special Events' started by KB7AK, May 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I dabble around in CW contests, usually just to hand out some points and maybe get lucky and work a station that's a new one for me on a particular band.

The one contest I take semi-seriously I DO use my computer to send the CW. I have the exchanges programmed using function keys. Otherwise I have no idea how I would get them all logged while still keeping up a good rate. I type the other station's call into the log program and all the info is filled in and after the exchange is complete, I hit enter.

If I had four arms and four hands I might do it differently :p

WG7X likes this.
  2. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

If you're a PC person, N1MM is the current favorite (Skookumlogger for Mac). Sending CW can be done through the LPT port or (more common) a Winkeyer from K1EL. Normally, the keyboard you saw is used to perform logging as the software sends the entire contest exchange. Once you've used this level of automation in a CW contest, you'll wonder why it took you so long!

3. KB7AK

KB7AK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you Bob, your response resonates well with me, because that's how I look at these contests as well. A good 35 years ago, there was one pseron on the paddle, and two persons logging the call signs and exchanges. What software do you use if I may ask.

4. KB7AK

KB7AK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Harry, I have been thinking about the WinKeyer unit.

5. K5VZD

K5VZD Ham Member QRZ Page

we need separation for actual cw operators during contests .. using straight keys,bugs, or sending keyers only, No receive programs!! to be fair to the real hams as opposed to the the guys who don't even know the code... just plain not fair Yes This AGAIN!!!!!

K7NDE and WN1MB like this.
  6. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Hopefully some folks will step into the obvious void left by CQ magazine's inability to get a print version of their magazine out on time.

K5VZD likes this.
  7. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree wholeheartedly but good luck with implimentation. In the meantime...

...consider participating in SKCC's Weekend Sprintathons, Two-Hour Straight Key Sprints, and other events. Straight keys, cooties, and bugs ONLY. GREAT bunch of folks and a GREAT deal of fun.

https://www.skccgroup.com/

https://www.skccgroup.com/operating_activities/weekend_sprintathon/

https://www.skccgroup.com/operating_activities/weekday_sprint/

K5VZD, WG7X and KQ4MM like this.
  8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Why would technology be limited in a contest, any contest? Unless the contest rules specifically say otherwise it's permitted. Statements calling the use of computers for logging, sending CW, etc. as cheating are complete nonsense. Are stations with huge antenna farms cheating, don't think so. The idea of a contest is to be competitive and you do that in any way you can consistent with the contest rules and the FCC regs.

WA7PRC likes this.
  9. K5VZD

10. K5VZD

I still get it,, I look at the pictures,,,,hi hi