ad: ProAudio-1

Contester’s Code of Ethics - what is "enter"?

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KT5WB, Jul 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I generally don't contest but on occasion will participate for an hour or so max, and that is only on CW.

I once did this making probably 50 contacts maybe a little more. Some time later I received emails deploring me to submit a log explaining how I am screwing the other contesters. I received this email a few times, no I never complied.

So IMO to say it's NOT frowned upon isn't true, for some anyway. If it IS true, why did I get such emails?:rolleyes:

2. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

There's no reason anyone should have told you that by not submitting a log that you're harming those who are "in the contest." I'm not aware of any contests in which the only contacts that are valid are those that appear in submitted logs, let alone penalties for working those that don't.

The only time that MIGHT be so is when a station that makes only ONE contact in the contest so that log-checking tags that call sign as "unique" and therefore MIGHT be interpreted as being a "busted" (incorrectly copied) call sign, and therefore penalized.

Clearly, that wasn't the case if you made a few dozen contacts.

Further, even if you don't meet the contest criteria --such as being a stateside station when there are points only for working DX-- there's no penalty for working you ... just no points awarded.

If you meet the contest criteria you don't have to be "in the contest" (submit a log) to give points (and even multipliers) to participants.

In fact, it's common in phone contests, when stations calling CQ aren't getting a response to hear them sometimes say "You don't have to be in the contest to give me a point."

;)

3. KT5WB

KT5WB Ham Member QRZ Page

I have seen some contests, where if you submit a log, and you don't have a matching QSO, then the other person can lose points or be penalized. I've not seen any contests yet where not submitting a log will hurt another person's score.

4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

That is just plain WRONG.:( If you are giving out points, you are required (at least by honor) to make contacts that comply with ALL the rules, not just "some" of the rules. whether you intend to submit a log or not.

W4POT likes this.