ad: rfparts

Contest Software Bug?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KC3JJF, Aug 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. KC3JJF

KC3JJF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've only had my license a couple months and was wondering if there was some kind of bug in the contest software folks were using last night or if just extra information was being exchanged. A lot of the stations I tuned to would be caught in some kind of loop where one station sent 'R' and the other station would respond with a string of mainly numbers. I'd tune to another station, maybe hear a couple regular exchanges (RST, serial) and then it would get caught in the same loop.

2. M0LEP

M0LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

Bands? Times?Usually, contests will require an exchange of serial numbers, Some contests will have other information that must be exchanged. When you think you're hearing contest traffic, best bet is to try to figure out which contest it is (say by checking one or other of the online contest calendars) and then go and read the rules, or at least as much of them as needed to determine what the required exchange is.

Here's one such contest calendar: http://www.hornucopia.com/contestcal/weeklycont.php

WA7PRC likes this.
  3. KC3JJF

It was on 40 meters a bit after 0000 GMT. Appeared to be confined below 7.050. It seemed odd to me that this exchange would go on for minutes at a time with one station sending 'R' and the other sending the string. The rest of the time they would send RST, serial number.

4. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

You were hearing a QTC exchange in the WAE CW contest. It wasn't a software bug.

http://www.darc.de/der-club/referate/conteste/worked-all-europe-dx-contest/en/

WA7PRC likes this.
  5. M0LEP

M0LEP Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah. That is, I guess, one of the most complicated contest exchanges going, isn't it...

Given the contest lasts 'til Sunday 23:59;59 UTC, I expect you'll be hearing a bit more of that.

6. KC3JJF

Thank you for the explanation. That makes sense now. I should have read more about the contest before asking the question.