Contemplating purchasing a Yaesu VX-6R

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by KE8FUV, Jan 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. KE8FUV

KE8FUV Ham Member QRZ Page

I am very interested in this radio because of the weather resistant body, the aircraft bands, FM broadcast bands and it's huge memory bank but I am a little apprehensive about ordering it. I have read alot online about issues with a ceramic filter going bad inside the radio and losing receive capabilities in the FM bands. Have these issues been rectified by Yaesu? If it has, it appears that this radio is good to go.

Maybe someone here has longterm firsthand experience with this radio and could weigh in?

2. K0BG

K0BG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not worried about repair. Yaesu, albeit slow, does a decent job of covering warranty and nominal wear and tear. What one should really be concerned with, is usability.

Frequency coverage, like the one you're describing, are often referred to as DC to daylight. How I look at it in a different light, and that's selectivity. The wider the bandwidth covered, the greater the chance of intermod, cross mixing, and other maladies which limit your ability to hear weak signals, even though you cannot hear the (out of bandpass) offending one. This is especially true of those units which receiver the AM aircraft bands.

If nothing else, it is yet another criteria to consider.

3. N8EKT

N8EKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had one since they first came out.
    I still carry it in my tool box on service calls .
    They are head and shoulders above any of the new radios as far as front ends go.
    Yes the older radios had an issue with some 455 filter failures after a few years.
    I suspect Yeasu has long since solved the issue.

4. KE8FUV

KE8FUV Ham Member QRZ Page

All very good information. I guess the real attraction to this radio is the waterproof (resistance) capabilities and the "heavy duty" case and the FM broadcast feature.

N8EKT- good to know. You mentioned service calls, so we can assume the radio has seen it's fair share of weather?

5. N7DFL

N7DFL Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had mine for a couple years now and I really like it.
    The price seems to be a bit high for the feature set, but it's a very solid radio that's easy to program and the extended reception range is fun to scan what's in use locally.

Factory batteries and accessories cost a bit more than other similar radios (i.e. FT-60) to maintain the water resistance.

6. AA7QQ

AA7QQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Whether it matters, or not, my VX5R from about 1999 is still kicking. Got new batteries a couple times. I have used it as a mobile, in the past.
    Heck, I'd use it as a wheel chock if needed...

Ed