Connecting IC-7100 to HDSDR via USB cable

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by KN4JFL, Feb 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KN4JFL

KN4JFL Ham Member QRZ Page

As said in the title, I'm making this connection but can't get the waterfall display on the HDSDR software to match what I hear on the radio. It ALMOST looks like the level meter on HDSDR is registering correctly, but it's hard to tell.

I've searched until I'm blue in the face and tried changing various settings on the radio and can't find a clear "how to" - or even a confirmation that this is or is not possible without another piece of hardware.

My first goal is just to see the signal on the waterfall display. Eventually I might want to transmit and receive data, but that's a little ways out yet.

Can anyone help? I'm using Windows 10 and THINK I've followed the instructions correctly to load the drivers on the laptop right. Maybe. ;-)

2. DH1KLM

DH1KLM Ham Member QRZ Page

3. KN4JFL

Not trying to argue - trying to understand: what is the purpose of the USB port if it can't connect directly to a computer without a custom built dongle? Is it meant to do something else, and we repurpose it for SDR?

I found instructions in the manual for the other data connection ports, but nothing much for the USB port.

4. DH1KLM

Since the IC7100 has a builtin audio codec, you can use the USB port for digital modes like PSK and so on without having additional external hardware. You can also use it to program the radio.
    The 7100 is not a SDR radio and therefore no SDR like signals are generated inside which can be routed thru the USB port.

5. KN4JFL

Ahh - Ok. So if I download something like Fldigi to my laptop I can connect directly to the IC-7100 and send and receive data via RTTY and PSK. But if I want to see the waterfall display I need to build the dongle. Right?

Thanks for the help! So far all I've done is SSB and purely with my ears.

6. DH1KLM

Yes your are right. I have used a SDR Dongle with my IC-7000 for a long time and liked it very much.

7. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just for clarity, depending on software for digital modes you will see a waterfall, but it will be the audio bandwidth of the frequency your radio is tuned to.

8. N5SMO

N5SMO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

FLDigi or HRD will show a waterfall display, but it is NOT a panadapter. It will only show what is in the audio passband of the tuned frequency, IE about 3Khz wide section of the band centered on your tuned frequency. This is done with jus the USB cable and no external device. If the 7100 can be modified with an IF frequency tap, you could route that through an external SDR dongle and see everything on the Panadapter.