ad: UR5CDXcom-1

Connecticut and ther hands free law

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K1PIX, Oct 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: L-rfparts
  1. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

What's a Connecticut? Is it important?

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

2. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

Keyboard? What about those who Model 15's in their cars? ;)

3. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

You don't put a 15 IN your car.

You build your car AROUND the 15.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

4. GM1SXV

GM1SXV Ham Member QRZ Page

You were lucky. This was covered a couple of years ago in Practical Wireless. "Serving police officers" were queuing up on the letters page to tell UK hams that it doesn't matter that the UK cell phone legislation specifically excludes two way radios from the hands free requirement, "the police" have decided it is dangerous and they will do you for "without due care", "not in proper control" or anything else they can think of.

You couldn't ask for a better illustration of how the UK police appear to be able to decide what the law should be regardless of the democratic process.

IIRC the amateur who started off the whole discussion in PW was done while parked.

5. K4KWH

K4KWH Guest

But if I DID get a ticket on that basis, I am JUST the SOB to test the b******s in court and gladly pay for the privilege. I'm not going to roll over and play dead just because fat, pot-bellied cop says so!!!!

6. WR3T

WR3T Ham Member QRZ Page

Have fun wasting your money; you're going to lose. The law is pretty explicit that it can only be used in emergency situations.

Why do hams think they should be exempt from handsfree laws?

7. K1PIX

K1PIX Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think that i should be" exempt"!!!! i just wanted to know more information as to the law if it had been recinded or not .. also if i had to buy a headset of some sort . Heil makes some inexpensive single ear piece with boom mics pre wired for what ever radio you want at a reasonable prices. That being said
    when the storm troopers [cops dressed like they just came outta jump school.protruding the arrogance
    of something i can't say here] start policing themselves then i will turn off my cell phone my 2 meter radio i travel to and from Boston everyday and use a few different repeaters and enjoy talking to different hams on them ........... ok i vented thanks

8. K4KWH

K4KWH Guest

So is long standing support of mobile Amateur Radio by FCC. They even said so in a friend-of-the-court brief in regard to the issue of bubba cops with IQ's of 30, seizing mobile ham radios, calling them "scanners".

Also the difference in a mobile radio and a cellphone has not yet been taken up in a court of law. MILLIONS of CB radios, for example, were installed in cars in the 70's & 80's LONG before cellphones were invented. IF "distracted driving" was going to become an issue, or was CAUSED by, the use of two way radios, it would have come up THEN. WHAT IS the cause of distracted driving in the context of modern driving? It IS THE CELLPHONE that is the cause, NOT the two way radio. Sensible solutions to problems don't come from stupid politicians who know **** about the problem at hand. Lumping the REAL cause of "distracted driving" in with two way radios won't help.

So part of my defense would be 1) define the difference in a two way radio and a cellphone, 2) point out the use of TWR's before cellphones came about. 3) demand prosecution bring forth supporting evidence to show TWR as a contributing factor in distracted driving (they CAN'T because none exists and the reason none exists, two way use never created enough impact on the issue to bring it to light) 4) FCC's endorsement of Amateur Radio in mobiles and its brief in the "scanner law", 5) highlight the instances of distracted driving known to be caused by cellphone use and use a graph to show where it increased dramatically when the cellphone became so popular. Like the giant in-yer-face mouse in the rat poison commercial, who's in the lady's kitchen eating her food, "Prove it". Sure I may be wrong, but they are WRONG to do this. Don't punish that which is not the villain. Or I can stay the h** out of Connect-I-cut. Pee on 'em!:(;)

9. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The exception applies only to emergency use...but the use of amateur radio voice communications with an installed radio isn't prohibited in the first place.

Here's what's prohibited:

Here's the definition of a mobile electronic device:

An amateur radio is not a "hand-held mobile telephone", and in many/most cases it is not "electronic equipment capable of providing data communication between two or more persons".

Working phone while mobile isn't illegal in CT...but that might not stop a cop from giving you a ticket.

(Again, the obligatory disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer.)

10. K4KWH

K4KWH Guest

QUOTE=N1EN;2997707]The exception applies only to emergency use...but the use of amateur radio voice communications with an installed radio isn't prohibited in the first place.

Here's what's prohibited:

Here's the definition of a mobile electronic device:

An amateur radio is not a "hand-held mobile telephone", and in many/most cases it is not "electronic equipment capable of providing data communication between two or more persons".

Working phone while mobile isn't illegal in CT...but that might not stop a cop from giving you a ticket.

(Again, the obligatory disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer.)[/QUOTE]

Me neither. But it also won't stop me from filing suit in FEDERAL court against the state AND the cop. There are cases of hams making monkeys out of the locals in court!;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.