ad: wmr-1

Confused about DIgital Voice Modes...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W8AMD, Aug 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. W8AMD

W8AMD Ham Member QRZ Page

W4EAE That's perfect. It makes a bunch more sense now. My last question is (I'm sold on Yaesu Fusion and Wires X for what one I'm going with) Do I need to register for a Fusion/WiresX ID like in DMR? I see on videos on YouTube that when someone is talking it displays their call sign and Location, is registering for a ID required for that then? On Yaesu's website it appears you can register for one, although I haven't yet because it seems you need a serial number from your radio before you can register.

2. N8OHU

N8OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

The registration is for a Wires-X node, not for general system use.

3. AA8TA

AA8TA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I’m not a video fan, usually takes too long to get to the point.

I have a friend who is pushing me to get into digital voice stuff. Ironic since we’re both CW ops. His first message about it was pretty long and I told him I understood none of it.

I local guy tried to explain it but that did not help.

Let’s start with this: suppose I get a D-Star radio since there are some D-Star repeaters nearby (neglecting for the moment that my friend says I should get a hotspot). After registering and all that, how do “tune”? I know those radios do analog, but how do I find digital voice activity?

Let’s suppose somebody starts a group to discuss growing radishes. If he sets this up on a Fusion system, do I need a Yaesu radio to join? When I “connect” do I know who else is there? Does the head radish go from radish to radish to let everybody talk?

Why not use Zoom for this instead of special radios and hotspots?

4. W8AMD

W8AMD Ham Member QRZ Page

So will your info automatically display as text on the receiving radios screen then?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  5. N8OHU

N8OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

Correct. I have no personal experience with the system, as I'm already invested in D-STAR, so I can't give you much more information.

6. WB8NQW

WB8NQW Ham Member QRZ Page

With a Yaesu radio the transmitting station's 10 character ID will be displayed on the receiving radio's display. The 10 characters displayed will be the call sign and maybe a name if all will fit in 10 characters and if the radio's owner entered all 10 characters during set-up. If both Fusion radios have GPS capability the distance between the two stations can also be displayed. I would suggest going to the Yaesu website and download the manuals for the specific radio you are interested in. There are separate manuals for Fusion in general and for each Fusion radio. Also manuals specifically for Wires-X.

For Wires-X capability the Fusion repeater owner must obtain a Yaesu Wires-X modem, a node ID, a room ID - both from Yaesu, a PC with internet ports and software also from Yaesu and then anyone within repeater range and a Fusion radio can use that repeater with all the digital features available including Wires-X.

There is another Fusion function called group mode, with it's own manual, which is very interesting for simplex mode with multiple stations.

The learning curve, especially for the repeater owners, can be a little steep but with a little practice and some elmering operation is fairly straightforward.

W8AMD likes this.
  7. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

You set up an RX/TX frequency pair just like you would for an FM repeater, and make sure your modulation is set to 'DV' as opposed to 'FM.' The D-Star radio has an additional setting called 'URCALL.' To talk to anyone on that repeater (or anyone on a reflector to which it might be linked), you would set 'URCALL' to 'CQCQCQ.' Of course, it can get a little more complicated if you wish to do more than that.

If the radish group was on a Fusion reflector, it would be possible to connect with your D-Star radio but not easy. (Consider checking into a CW net with an SSB radio. You could do it, but not without some significant processing in between). As to how you connect (or whether it is possible for you to connect), it depends on where you start. As to how someone runs their net, that is up to them--just like on FM repeaters and HF nets. Digital voice radio is not a whole other world with different rules, it is just a selection of alternative modes.

AA8TA likes this.