Computer slowing down

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by AC0FP, Feb 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
  1. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

I have noticed my computer is slowing down. The antivirus program indicates all is "secure". I'm beginning to think this may be from the newer versions of Adobe Flash player, it does seem to be associated with sites with a lot of graphs or advertizements. Anyone have some thoughts about this? My computer is getting a little dated (1.3GHz) and runs XP.

Frank

2. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Subscriber QRZ Page

Go into msconfig and turn off any unneeded start up programs to take the load off of the system?

3. WA4OTD

WA4OTD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Go in and delete the programs like Adobe Flash....you can always install them again. Look at processes running (ctrl-alt-del).

Run program like Malwarebytes or AVG.

4. KW9W

KW9W Ham Member QRZ Page

There's several questions that you may be asking yourself about the machine...

Is your machine 3-4 years old?
    Are you running Kaspersky Internet Security, or one of those others?
    Does it have much in the way of games, music, or photos stored in the hard drive?
    How much memory is available of the entire hard drive space? 70-80 percent, or is your software & files taking over?

There's things that many of us can do to keep our machines running efficiently, and without too many hickups. Part of the key is not to rely on inexperienced family members for advice, or two paragraph articles in magazines that only scratch the surface.

5. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

Download the free CCcleaner and clean out all the stuff which arrives without you knowing, like add on's. Adobe does take up space, have a look in ADD/REMOVE programs and see if there are things you can live without and do a defrag.

6. KK4AMP

KK4AMP Ham Member QRZ Page

Could be a hardware issue like overheating, too. Some machines will throttle back to keep from cooking. When's the last time you blew out your heatsinks and took a look at fan RPMs?

7. AC0FP

The hard disk is 71% empty, I have very few pictures and zero games. Yes, the machine is about 3 or 4 years old ( HP Compaq ). The antivirus software is Avast.

I think the new Adobe flash program uses a lot more resources and probably is written for computers with dual or quad processors.

fp

8. KLONDIKEMIKE

KLONDIKEMIKE QRZ Member

Install program from Microsoft called "Process Explorer". You will be able to identify EVERYTHING that is running on your computer. This, just like everything else on the computer requires that you invest some of your time on how to use this tool. Invest the time, learn the tool ... solve your problem. Good luck.

http://download.cnet.com/Process-Explorer/3000-2094_4-10223605.html

9. AC0FP

I have found away to turn off the Avast antivirus program while programs are executing, maybe that will make a difference.

fp

10. KA7O

KA7O Ham Member QRZ Page

Apparently, this behavior is by design.

Was a time that MS suggested re-installatin of their products on a regular interval, varying from 6 months to a few years - depending on use.

Could always try defragging the drive or install a bunch of other products and hope it doesn't break something.

Amazing that folks still endure this when there are options available.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.