Comparisons Please: FT-857 vs. FT-891

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by N4MU, Jul 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

That's funny! Ahhh yes, the 6M halo. I grew up in an area with TV channel 2 so 6M wasn't very popular back then. I suppose that's why I was never considered to be an angel. Well, except by my mother of course. Thanks!

2. KJ4VZJ

KJ4VZJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an FT-857D and specifically chose it because it could perform HF and 2 meter/70 cm. If 2 meter/70 cm is not an issue, then pricing would be you biggest variable. Either radio would be a good choice. If you do live in Florida, take caution in protecting the LCD screen from excessive heat. Direct sunlight and humidity can cause zebra-striping which may eventually result in a $250 repair. R

3. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

Advice well taken. The front panel will be separated, probably on a gooseneck floor mount, and will be removed when not in use. I also plan on using the rig in "patio portable" so the whole thing will be made easily removed, etc. Thought I've seen an entire new front panel for around $179 somewhere. Hope I don't need that either. Yes, 2M and 440 are desired...don't really know why. Maybe just old habits, etc. Also I don't want two radios in truck. Thanks for your warnings...not from experience are they? Hope not.

4. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

BTW, just read your bio on QRZ and would very much like to keep in touch. We have several things in common re. the 857 (such as: My wife let me buy it to in a Ford F series). LOL If you care to, please email me via my email found on my bio page. Your setup sounds great and I would like to discuss details sometime. Are you planning by any chance to be in Huntsville in August? Thanks for help.

5. KJ4VZJ

I currently have two stripes in my display. I created a thermal cover to keep the sun off it. It seems to have curtailed further damage.

6. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

That's good to hear...I mean that you stopped further damage. I understand that Yaesu made some changes in later runs to "fix" that issue...unconfirmed however. Re the ATAS: Have you had any issues with it tuning or getting stuck? I believe that many of those who gave it bad marks may not have really understood, or at least adhered to Mobile antenna techniques 101. I also understand that Yaesu made it more impervious to water ingress...an earlier issue with many 120s...that's where the "A" came from...again, unconfirmed but seemingly widely accepted.

7. KJ4VZJ

The ATAS-120A can get "stuck" sometimes or not tune. I'd say most of the time it works as advertised and has provided me with some good contacts. I can consistently transmit out to 900 miles and have even hit California,Washington State, France, and Slovenia. When the antenna gets stuck trying to screw upwards, I get out and jiggle it a little bit. (mind you it's on 10 watts and I don't grab metal.) Occasionally I need to re-initialize it. I did try to mitigate the water issues with some additional silicone on the cap. That seems to have helped. I've been keeping it off lately as crape myrtle trees have "attacked" it while driving down the road. I purposefully put it on my right side to avoid issues with drive-thru restaurants and banks but subjected it to trees and such. The greatest advantage of the ATAS-120A and FT-857D is that they are designed to work together and don't require additional equipment or programming.

8. G1EYO

G1EYO QRZ Member

I also use the ATAS on the 891 and find that it tunes perfectly when out in an open area but anything that could adversly affect SWR, proximity to buildings or metal structures etc seem to ‘confuse’ it, which sort of makes sense as the radio tunes it to minimum SWR. I applied some silicone grease under the rubber cap at the top and also behind the rubber boot at the bottom and have had no water ingress issues although I don’t leave in mounted permanently in case it gets nicked. It also seems to work equally well mounted on either the metal roof bars or directly into the mount in the middle of the roof.

9. N4MU

N4MU Ham Member QRZ Page

Meant to ask: Have you used it successfully on WARC bands? Yaesu says, in so many words, that it SHOULD tune okay but they are not definite. So, have 30, 17, 12 been auto-tuneable? Can't imagine why the radio wouldn't be able to tune them if it does the others okay.

10. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

I have an FT-891 that I run mobile, and three things that I greatly appreciate about it over the FT-857 are DSP noise cancellation, variable receive width, and the screen which is much, much larger and easier to read mobile. The first two really make a substantial difference when trying to read RX in a moving car. The DSP really works; and for an extended QSO, the narrow filter on the FT-857 can be quite tiring to listen to.