ad: ProAudio-1

Comparing Elevated 1/4w Vertical vs. Link Dipole with WSPR

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5ACL, Nov 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. K4KKQ

K4KKQ Ham Member QRZ Page

KI4I, a local ham, tried the bed-spring.
    Made the cat jump up.
    Did not get a signal report from him.

However, for what its worth ...
    In the mid 1950's, Norfolk Naval Air Station Ham Club,
    we used tin Beer-Cans soldered together 63' on 80M, half dozen radials.
    The Beer-Can Quarter/Wave Vertical worked very well, as far as "verticals" go.
    Extremely broadly tuned.
    I still use a 1/4 wave Vert on 20, with a single radial towards my target,
    to New England from Memphis, Tennessee,
    for consistent 1000 mile contacts on weekend.
    BTW, we had six chiefs from WWII who could copy at 65 wpm.
    Amazing to watch/listen to hard-ball CW !

2. KB1HQS

KB1HQS Ham Member QRZ Page

Curious to see how it stacks up versus other antennas. Besides, my CW signal is already huge at 5W, lol.

3. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Call sign, QTH, and power, but no it's not a QSO mode.

4. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good catch...it's been awhile since I did much wspring...just a tad this year. Can be loads of fun, though. My new fun is websdr. What a blast to be able to do a radio test call and have a distant station receive it as you listen real-time on the internet. You can even observe your signal strength and record the call. Oh what geeky fun we hams have.

Al

5. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

And that would be why I love running a 1/4 wave vertical on 40m, on top of the 350m mountain, near home. Wire alongside a 12m Spiderbeam HD Fiberglass pole. 3 raised radials. Too noisy in the city, though:

[​IMG]

It's on the right. Various antenna experiments, last year:
    [​IMG]

K5ACL and KC8VWM like this.
  6. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Rudy Severns is the king of elevated radials.... a great read.

http://rudys.typepad.com/files/elevated-ground-systems-article-final-version.pdf

Here is what you might gain from going from 1 to more elevated radials. For great results, it seems no fewer than 4 radials of slightly longer than 1/4 wavelength (or about .30 wavelength long) raised 4 feet off the ground at center, and about a foot off ground at ends is something to shoot for. Eight raised radials are better, but that's a lot of work for a portable set-up.

The pattern improves with more raised radials, but not a lot of db improvement:

upload_2017-12-3_23-56-8.png

Owen Duffy also has some great comparison information on radials:

http://owenduffy.net/grabber/cs07/

I really love reading this stuff....

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    K5ACL and KC8VWM like this.
  7. K5ACL

K5ACL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've gotten quite a few requests to run this test differently next time...

I'll certainly add more radials, and try to get a bit more separation between the two antennas. Lots was learned with this experiment.

Thank you everyone for your input, what a learning experience! - I've received numerous emails from folks and their experience with similar setups, and how to try things a bit differently next time!

I'll be using this Vertical antenna for a Parks on the Air Activation with N9MM & W5MIG on December 10, 2017 - so lookout for us on the air & give us an honest signal report!

https://www.k5acl.net/ham-radio-adv...-parks-on-the-air-with-n9mm-w5mig-12-10-2017/

K5ACL

KB1HQS likes this.