ad: M2Ant-1

Comparing Elevated 1/4w Vertical vs. Link Dipole with WSPR

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5KV, Nov 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Chet,

Facts presented are not "techno-bullying". You are just unhappy that your premise is incomplete , or incorrect. That doesn't make the other party "arrogant".

Again, look up the definition.

You hit the nail on the head: we shouldn't allow the 'enjoyment' factor to be adverse to the facts. Getting offended by the facts is really not appropriate. When you call someone who has the experience and knowledge 'arrogant' you really are resorting to defamation, and trying to divert from the facts by an ad hominem attack. And that is why I do not publish in ham magazines: the response to the facts is not an excuse to attack, so the default approach is to attack the messenger. Where, in Part 97, did any one of us sign up for that?

Getting back to the facts===

SO let me ask you this. I have no idea which VK9 you are referring to.... there have been several in the last two months. I worked all of them.

You need to ponder for yourself: IF elevated radials worked so great under all circumstances, then why have island DXpeditions--including at least one of these VK9's-- abandoned raised radials and instead put their radials IN the seawater? Keep in mind that in one way that is a very BAD idea: it turns an OMNI antenna into one with PATTERN distortion. Again: why not just put up elevated radials in the coconut trees as the default approach? Why electrify the ocean;-)?

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  2. NK9Y

NK9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

OK Chip, I'll have just one more go at this. I still think it is time to move on, however. When I made my initial post, it was in support of an antenna comparison in the field. I made similar comparisons in the 80's and 90's, only on top band. You jumped in, with what felt to me as an abrasive undertone. My findings were, in your professional opinion, unfounded by ANY science. Then, I thought we moved past that. Again, I do not marginalize your antenna work, and your mastery of a CW pile up is a beauty indeed. Yet my elevated counterpoise system worked far better than I originally hoped for. Confused am I? Sure, but still the system DID work.

IF your friend's comment was NOT INTENDED as backhanded toward me, complete with a green face symbol. (Did my comment really sicken him?) Then I apologize.

The VK9 was Norfolk, and was long ago. Likely Ron, AMO. He was calling CQ, with no business. Being well before my gray line, his signal was steady, and weak, giving me plenty of time to try. I am aware of the sea water "state of the art". That idea will not work in Illinois, for obvious reasons.

Now for the kicker. For many years, while building my chosen career, I was rather inactive. Had just one tower up. Rohn 20, on top of a utility pole. On that tower, were 5 quarter wave verticals, each with a single elevated counterpoise. In my unorthodox notions, I was concerned with interaction. So I hung each at varying angles, so none were parallel. What fun those years were! That system also worked very well. If I could hear them, I could work them. Isn't that what this hobby is all about? I hope this last paragraph has left you laughing.

Sincere 73,
    Chet NK9Y

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I am happy that you get out so well. That doesn't mean I am arrogant. Your false characterization is a silly response to the facts.

Chip W1YW

4. NK9Y

NK9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Hang on Chip. The shot, which I may have misunderstood as arrogant, did not come from you. It came from an apparent friend of yours. Someone who directed a green face symbol, my way.

Hope we are OK now. We both have better things to do today.

73 Chet

5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Chet,

We are always OK. That's the nature of ham radio :)

Best DX OM,
    Chip W1YW

NK9Y likes this.
  6. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Chet my first comment was mostly tongue in cheek and that's what the smiley face was supposed to represent. The only smiley face color available was the green one.

I wasn't personally criticizing you either, I was just explaining things about vertical antennas that I had learned through many measured experiments on 160, 80 and 40 meters using verticals and inverted L's that I conducted over an approximate 25 year period.

W1YW likes this.
  7. NK9Y

NK9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Thomas, thank you for clearing this up. It all makes perfect sense now. Your words just hit me wrong at that instant. I owe you an apology, and you have it sir. It is interesting to reflect upon though. Nations have gone to war many times over simple misunderstandings. Perhaps you, Chip, and myself will bump into each other, at a hamfest sometime. The tall soda's will be on me.

NK9Y

W4HM and W1YW like this.
  8. WN4HOG

WN4HOG Ham Member QRZ Page

Love it! Would be interested in seeing differences between vertical with one radial versus multiple on same band.

W5KV likes this.
  9. KK6QMS

KK6QMS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I wonder why the SWR on those were so high. I have no prob getting 1:1 or maybe 1:2 on verts and wire dipoles in similar configs. Nice job and interesting results.
    C

10. WJ8Y

WJ8Y Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What you trying to do Stuart? Put a huge signal on the CW bands?

11. K4KKQ

K4KKQ Ham Member QRZ Page

KI4I, a local ham, tried the bed-spring.
    Made the cat jump up.
    Did not get a signal report from him.

However, for what its worth ...
    In the mid 1950's, Norfolk Naval Air Station Ham Club,
    we used tin Beer-Cans soldered together 63' on 80M, half dozen radials.
    The Beer-Can Quarter/Wave Vertical worked very well, as far as "verticals" go.
    Extremely broadly tuned.
    I still use a 1/4 wave Vert on 20, with a single radial towards my target,
    to New England from Memphis, Tennessee,
    for consistent 1000 mile contacts on weekend.
    BTW, we had six chiefs from WWII who could copy at 65 wpm.
    Amazing to watch/listen to hard-ball CW !

12. KB1HQS

KB1HQS Ham Member QRZ Page

Curious to see how it stacks up versus other antennas. Besides, my CW signal is already huge at 5W, lol.

13. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Call sign, QTH, and power, but no it's not a QSO mode.

VK6APZ/SK2022 likes this.
  14. KM4DYX

KM4DYX Ham Member QRZ Page

Good catch...it's been awhile since I did much wspring...just a tad this year. Can be loads of fun, though. My new fun is websdr. What a blast to be able to do a radio test call and have a distant station receive it as you listen real-time on the internet. You can even observe your signal strength and record the call. Oh what geeky fun we hams have.

Al

15. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

And that would be why I love running a 1/4 wave vertical on 40m, on top of the 350m mountain, near home. Wire alongside a 12m Spiderbeam HD Fiberglass pole. 3 raised radials. Too noisy in the city, though:

[​IMG]

It's on the right. Various antenna experiments, last year:
    [​IMG]

W5KV and KC8VWM like this.