ad: ProAudio-1

Comparing Elevated 1/4w Vertical vs. Link Dipole with WSPR

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5KV, Nov 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W5KV

W5KV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello Ham Radio Ops,

K5ACL from SignalSearch here with another Antenna comparison/testing video using the Weak Signal Propagation Reporter (WSPR) network.

Testing out an elevated 1/4w vertical vs Link Dipole using a simultaneous WSPR transmitter that was homebrewed by W6LVP - thanks Larry! I'll run the test on 20 & 40m only (40m using a portion of coil on the Vert. antenna) at 500mW.

The results were a bit surprising since I chose to only use 1 radial on the vertical. I've done switching comparisons before, but never a simultaneous one. DXplorer.net (Premium subscription comes with the WSPRlite device from SOTAbeams, but the basic service is free) offers a really neat way to compare antennas with some valuable information.

Hope you enjoy!

K5ACL

KE0OAP, N7LGK, AA7NM and 4 others like this.
  2. AK9S

AK9S Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe your results match with what would be expected considering elevation radiation lobes and angles of radiation involved. That said, it is always refreshing to see actual test data, especially when comparing antennas.

It is nice to see real numbers and trends in experimental testing. Good job and thanks for sharing.

K0RKH and W5KV like this.
  3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Inquiring minds want to know how beer cans compare against bed springs... ahem.

W8NSI, W5KV, W6MQI and 1 other person like this.
  4. KB1HQS

KB1HQS Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting video, thanks for sharing. Subscribed for more videos.
    I would like to see how delta loops (or other loop variant) stacks up.

WJ8Y and W5KV like this.
  5. KM4DYX

KM4DYX Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting video, and nicely done, Staff Sergeant. Thanks for posting.

Al

W5KV likes this.
  6. K5VOU

K5VOU Ham Member QRZ Page

1/4w is usually interpreted as 1/4 of a Watt. 1/4 lambda with the Greek small l should be used but QRZ won't let you use it.

W5KV likes this.
  7. NK9Y

NK9Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Well done. Correlates nicely with my findings years ago on 160, only with more power. Get those verticals off the ground guys. Forget the ground screen of miles of wire. A single elevated counterpoise will do the trick, and the bandwidth will only be slightly narrower.

W8NSI, W5KV, K4BAD and 1 other person like this.
  8. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Very nice report - keep up the good work!
    Jim, WQ2H

W5KV likes this.
  9. N4GFH

N4GFH Ham Member QRZ Page

Very interesting comparison. I have to agree with the last post. I always have better results by keeping the counterpoises elevated.

W8NSI and W5KV like this.
  10. K6MTS

K6MTS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Interesting, thanks for sharing.
    Liked some of the slick vid effects at beginning and showing equip setup too!

W5KV likes this.
  11. AG5IX

AG5IX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for sharing the video. Great job.

W5KV likes this.
  12. K4PIT

K4PIT Ham Member QRZ Page

I couldn't actually see either antenna in the video. Are they both verticals? If not, wouldn't you have to take into account the polarization of the receiving antennas? What kind of information is usually communicated with the mode or is this mode used for testing antennas only? This is my first introduction to WSPR so please forgive my lack of knowledge. 73

W5KV likes this.
  13. W4ABC

W4ABC Ham Member QRZ Page

Good job with the antenna testing and of course - with the video production, Johnny.

Jon Pearl - W4ABC

W5KV likes this.
  14. KM4DYX

KM4DYX Ham Member QRZ Page

Sky Wave arrives at the receiving station elliptically polarized regardless of transmitter antenna polarization, so antenna orientation is seldom a factor.

WSPR is simply communicating ones call sign, IIRC, so it's not used for QSOs.

Al

W5KV likes this.
  15. W5KV

W5KV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the feedback everyone. So beer cans & delta loops for the next test eh? :p

We need to do this. My buddy K5URU won the Bedspring Challenge contest on the Amateur Radio Reddit Group

Thanks for answering this Al! 73