Commentary on the state of license testing

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K1VSK, Apr 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Noticed this on one of the sailing forums I read:

"Most marine SSB radio's handle Ham frequencies fine. You just need the Ham license to legally use them. In the US, the general license is not tough to get, as all the questions are available for review.
    ---End Quote---
    That is how I did mine! I kept taking practice quiz, over and over, ... and over ..., until I could do them in my sleep (even though I didn't understand a great deal of it... still don't). But I passed and got my General certificate about 3 years ago.

I took mine here: https://www.eham.net/exams/.

W3A**."

I know this subject has been discussed previously but thought the above quote nicely describes the state in which we find ourselves.

N3AB and KK5JY like this.
  2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, now that you mention it, I do seem to recall this might have been discussed here a time or two... But, alrighty then. I'll get the popcorn ready. :p

Anyhow, other than the fact that a code test is no longer required, how is this any different from the way licensing has been for four decades?

Or even before that? Oh, sure, back in the 60s and 70s the question pool was not available for your perusal (unless you were buddies with Dick Bash), but guess what? If you went through the ARRL License Manual from those days and did just like the above, you would pass. Amateur radio licensing has never been like getting an EE degree--or e'en like passing the final in EE101. ;)

popcorn.jpg

KC3BZJ, WA7PRC, KA4DPO and 3 others like this.
  3. N0DZQ

N0DZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

More proof the ARRL really doesn’t need to propose tinkering with license privileges.:rolleyes:

K4AGO, KD8OSD, KA4DPO and 6 others like this.
  4. N7ZAL

N7ZAL Ham Member QRZ Page

Based on past discussions, this should crash and burn soon.

The so-called "discussion" gets old fast. Guess everything just boils down to the "no coders"... :)

5. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Opinions vary,however, one thing is certain - it has never been easier than it is now and mediocrity isn't the goal. Or at least, it shouldn't be. Regardless, it is not constructive to debate it here of all places. My post is intended only as one example of evolution of the hobby. Sorry it struck a nerve.

6. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

* sigh *

N2EY likes this.
  7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The ground truth is that the amateur radio exams are not and have never been designed to create trained technicians. That is the job of schools, the military, or self-education/experience working with electronics. The purpose of the exams is that the new licensee have the basic knowledge to operate in a legal manner. I don't see that the current crop of hams--Technicians or otherwise--is any worse in that regard than previous generations. As a matter of fact, the lids and losers on 7200 and 313 seem to usually be those who've been around for a long time. ;)

KC3BZJ, K4AGO, WD4IGX and 6 others like this.
  8. K5RCD

K5RCD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]

KD9KSO, K4AGO and WZ7U like this.
  9. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Take that amplified across any kind of federal exam these days.

You can get the exact questions and answers to any one of those tests and memorize them.

And then you can fly an airplane, or any number of other things that requires a government license.

Welcome to the New World Order.

K4AGO likes this.
  10. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone else notice that the BOLD comment in the 1st post refers to a General Certificate,.... and not a license.

Jus Sayin:(,............................................:(