ad: Amateuramateur-1

Coming out with Uranus? What's can we expect from Ten Tec?

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by K1FBI, Oct 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-innov
ad: l-Waters
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
  1. K1FBI

K1FBI Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a sad month as Ten Tec has stopped production of the Jupiter and no longer lists it on the site. What do we have to look forward to for a new model? Will it have the CW Personality or has that gone the way of the testing requirements? The Eagle has landed, but it's too small for my taste as a base rig.
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, it had its run. I see they do have a nifty power amplifier for QRP rigs out now.

Look for the new Neptune, which works underwater; and the Pluto, which barks and has Walt Disney's signature on the panel.:eek:
  3. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just ordered 10 each of their new Dumbo, Sleepy & Goofy models.

Tom KCØW
  4. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

So many choices... Ok, of the Neptune, Pluto, Dumbo, Sleepy, Goofy and--my favorite--Doc models which one will have the best Sherwood numbers?

73, Jim N3AWS
  5. WB2WIK

I think the Uranus will squat on other models, personally. The coming Charmin model will wipe up, though.
  6. N3AWS

N3AWS Ham Member QRZ Page

But with a name like Charmin it will have to be out of the price range of 99% of today's hams!

7. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The new Robin Hood model.

Tom KCØW
  8. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Subscriber QRZ Page

Who wants to hear that? :eek:

"Hey, Uranus is sounding pretty good tonight!"
  9. W5INC

W5INC Ham Member QRZ Page

Are all of the Ten Tec parts made here in the USA? Or are the parts made over seas, imported to the USA and the radio is assembled in Tn? I hear a lot of Omnis and Jupiters on the CW side of the bands so I am guessing they must be a very good CW rig. I never owned a Ten Tec product of any kind, that is the reason for the question. :)
  10. WB2WIK

I'd rather hear that than "Uranus sounds terrible tonight."
  11. K1FBI

Not if you were doing prison time...
  12. K1FBI

The news is sure heating things up:

[jupiter538] Re: Ten Tec discontinues Jupiter as of 9/28/12

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 5:36 PM

Hey guys I took over the Pegasus Group a few years back and have been in a never ending struggle with TT to get any/good Peg schematics, BOM, and MFG adjustment/alignment procedures. The limited stuff they give us is 5th generation copies and incomplete - plus a myriad of excuses.

One being that there is proprietary data/info in the Jupiter that they did not want to disclose. Now that the Jupiter has become a TT dead duck I ask you;

All Jupiter owners need to ram it to TT to make available GOOD-COMPLETE schematics, BOM, and MFG Adjustment/alignment procedures.

Scream now or be screwed forever like your fellow Pegasus owners!!!

Kuby, N6***/8,
    Pegasus Group Chief Moderator (took over for Larry - Owner)
  13. N0SYA

N0SYA Ham Member QRZ Page

A Uranus model you say? May have T1 tone ability as standard.
  14. NA0AA

NA0AA Ham Member QRZ Page

Mexican or chile with beans?
  15. AD5ZC

AD5ZC Ham Member QRZ Page

All the jokes are funny but I've wondered what TT has up their sleeve as well. To me the Eagle took Jupiter's place so maybe instead of planets we should be expecting The Raptor or Condor.
    The O2 was obsolete the day they released it (even though it does well on the Sherwood tests) and the Omni VII is starting to lag FAR behind the other radios in its price class (heck, why would you buy an Omni with the existence of the 590 much less the 3000 that's on the way, heck the base 100 watt K3 with panadapter is less I believe).
    I decided to go back to school at my advanced age to retrain myself for the new economy and will be rewarding my impending graduation with a new American made rig. Flex has pretty much ensured that I won't be buying one of their radios with their attempt to introduce a residual income to their profit model. I don't want to buy the K3 because it is the ugliest radio I have ever seen and looks more like a kit radio than the Omni plus buying something from California is almost like not buying American to begin with (I kid...I kid... :) ). That leaves TT but I can't bring myself to pay that much for something not even in the top ten in performance and which almost universally gets panned (when it gets panned) for being a cheap feeling and looking radio. It is going to kill me but if they don't do something I am going to end up with the "K-Line" and just convince myself that the panadapter and linear looks cool enough to make up for the rest of the butt ugly K3. (berate me if you want to but part of what attracted me to the hobby is how cool the radios looked)
  16. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think they'll bring out a bigger Eagle, called Condor, but it will be very rare and just plain ugly. But it's unique capabilities as a scavenger will allow it to pick out any signal in a pileup.

The more I use my old Omni VI +, the more I like it. I've never had so much success in an RTTY contest, and I've fiddled around with them through many different rigs.
  17. WW7F

WW7F Guest

Look up "Nibiru" it should make a good name for a model:) 73,Michelle
  18. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Subscriber QRZ Page

TenTec Uranus you say?
    I can just imagine a cheeky little SDR radio with a pair of golden knobs.
    HF+6m all mode. customized logging software included
  19. K1FBI

This I can relate to and is the main reason I don't buy the TS-590, to me it does not have that cool factor. My TS-940 just looked like a radio and I wish I never sold it.
  20. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

Release The Kracken !
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.