Comet CAA-500 Mark II

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KA5ROW, Oct 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Never used an antenna analyzer, and have been considering getting one like the comet CAA-500 Mark II. I suppose when I am 80+ ft up I can test my SWR and get real close to where my settings should be. Instead of going back and forth to the shack and back up again.

I will be using a genie 90ft lift.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Get the carrying case with the shoulder strap if you're going to be using it up 80'.

3. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

I have an original Comet 500 and a Mark II. I actually acquired the Mark II first (new) before picking up the original (used). I like them both. The carrying case that came with my Mark II is way overpriced, but I felt I had to have one. It seems to be about 95+% good quality. But the small panel at the top (with the round openings for the SO239 connectors) is vinyl. Still holding up OK, but for $40+ I expected better. I had a friend use the cover as a pattern to make another one for my second unit. It isn't quite commercial quality, but it was free - and it protects very well. Both the analyzer, and whatever you are setting one on.

The original Comet covers the frequency range of the analyzer with fewer selector positions (7) verses about (35) for the Mark II. Thus I start with the original (if available) when tracking down an unknown antenna resonance band. I really do like the auto sweep mode of the Mark II (even though an engineer friend thinks it takes too long). I don't have to worry about affecting the SWR sweep depending on how you are holding the analyzer. Unless you are on a tower for example, one touch and you can walk away from it. I do think holding a unit wrapped in a cover is better than holding it by the metal case. After seeing my Mark II, my friend also got one. A great recommendation.

I don't mind that they have zero computer interface ability, but a way to save a few different color graph plots internally would be nice. Overall a very good unit for testing and adjusting antennas. Probably not the first choice of an antenna designer. They are not terribly small or light, but they give fairly solid repeatable results. And the two units track within a quite small tolerance of each other. Just a mostly satisfied customer sharing my thoughts about them.

N6QIC likes this.