ad: SOTA-1

coax and patch cord lengths

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KA0EIV, Nov 18, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

The trouble is, it's becoming quite difficult to find used Amphenol connectors at local swap meets. The imports are, well, a term I can't use here at QRZ.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Real Amphenol UHF connectors aren't so pricey:
    https://rfconnection.com/uhf-series/

83-1SP-1050 10/$28.00
    83-1SP 10/$35.00 (this is the old, "original" Amphenol PL-259)
    182120 10/$32.50

The highest priced one is the silver-plated (body) old fashioned PL-259 made by Amphenol, at $3.50 each when you buy ten.

In 1965 when I first started using these, they were $0.65/each at the local retailers like Federated, Disco, GEM, et al.

According to the CPI inflation calculator, $0.65 in 1965 is equivalent to $5.14 today! Which means the real cost of these connectors has actually come down over the years, and not gone up.

See attached.

Attached Files:

N8VIL, N0TZU and N4NYK like this.
  3. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I buy lots of 10 off e-bay for around $22.00, there new Amphenol, high quality and in individual original package.

4. WA9SVD

Just out of curiosity, are those the "silver plated" connectors, or the "RFX" Nickle-plated connectors? I may be interested.

5. WA9SVD

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It wasn't his chart or my chart, it's one from the web and it's probably quite accurate but the ones I'm referring to earlier are regarding "connector" performance, nothing to do with the cable itself.

PL-259s are essentially lossless to at least 460 MHz, assuming they're good connectors and properly installed.

I've "swept" these dozens of times. The problems are in "adapters."

7. WA9SVD

[QUOTE="W2WDX, post: 4470577, member: 134096

I find your charts a bit confusing. "RG-8" cable was dropped from MIL-SPEC many years ago, replaced by RG-213/U. WHAT type of RG-8 type cable were you using as a reference? "RG-8 type" cables abound by the dozens, and no longer have to conform to any "MIL-SPEC." Technically. even "RG-8X" (NEVER MIL-SPEC'd) can be claimed to be a "RG-8 Type."

8. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Staff Member QRZ Page

WIK:

Unfortunately, there are WAY too many PL-259 connectors "out there" that have to improve considerably in order to reach the status of dismal! Several manufacturers do make quality connectors. However, there are a lot of, especially, "off shore" manufacturers that are turning out connectors which are available, from various sources, on the Internet as well as certain retail outlets, that fall into this category. It is also unfortunate that such connectors are being bought by amateur radio operators who really do not know the difference.

Again unfortunate, but there are a fair number of "seasoned" operators, let alone newcomers, that do not realize that there is a difference among the connectors and price is not always a determining factor.

Glen, K9STH

9. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

83-1SP-15RFX but I believe they are silver plated brass.
    I can say that I have never had any issues with them and they take solider well.