ad: elecraft

CNN converts studio mics to Astatic D-104s !

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W0PV, Aug 24, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Amazing there are still folks left that watch CNN !!

W8LPN, AE5TE, W5TTW and 2 others like this.
  2. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

Approx. 00.2% of the population.
    Wait a minute, that's a familiar statistic?
    Jon

3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Amazing there are still folks left that think that's an issue. Unless free speech is a lie.

*disclaimer - I watch none of the cable "news" offerings. I prefer to think for myself.*

AE5TE and KQ9J like this.
  4. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Then there is the D-104 appearance in this video,

[​IMG]

5. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Somebody has to tell them what to think.

WC5P, K3XR and K1VSK like this.
  6. KI3U

KI3U Ham Member QRZ Page

Coincidentally the other day I ran a bunch of different microphones against each other to see what sort of output voltage they would provide into a high impedance load. The situation was this : I've just restored a classic 1961 Lafayette HE-20A CB base station, a truly beautiful vacuum tubes rig, which came to me as junk, and missing its HI-Z condenser MIC. To progress with the restoration of the rig's transmitter section I needed a MIC capable of talking the modulation up to 100%; I wanted to keep with raw unamplified / passive MIC's - no electret condensers requiring power. (Incidentally, the rig's plate modulation scheme is a clever version of choke modulation, using the primary only of the audio output transformer).

Of maybe a dozen MIC's I tried, my crystal D-104 which is dedicated to my Drake TR-4 came out on top, easily giving 100% modulation at comfortable talk level. The dynamic MIC's varied considerably in their oomph levels - one COLT MIC produced very good sounding audio, but couldn't get the HE-20A anywhere near 100% modulation. I've got another D-104, a Silver Eagle actually, but it's dead and I haven't gotten around to looking into it.

Only one other "MIC" made the 100%, and easily so, coming in with its voltage output just a little beneath the lollipop : a vintage ( WW2 ? ) R-14 magnetic earphone, with a DC winding resistance of 1019 Ohms. But although intelligible in the monitor receiver, it sounds pretty crappy - it sounds like a very, very early landline telephone, maybe like a candlestick telephone. Charming perhaps, but before I put the HE-20A on the air for its first contact in who knows how many decades, I want to get just the right dignified MIC for it.

Berj / KI3U

WZ7U likes this.
  7. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Funny, I believe both "sides" used their respective echo chambers for exactly that; to be told what to think.

No thanks, I can do that for myself without "nutwork" approval. Can you?

KQ9J likes this.
  8. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sad thing is that many D-104s these days have bad elements. If you've got a good one then treasure it while you can!

W0PV and WZ7U like this.
  9. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I bought one about ten years ago to use with my 500CX. Sounded like crap but I found some mic elements on an auction site that fit perfectly and sound great, to boot. I have also heard of people who bought replacement elements that sounded terrible. Guess I got lucky; I got two of the elements ridiculously cheap and got good ones. :)

10. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

The hard part is incorporating it into a headset, so it doesn't take up yuuge real estate between the operator and rig, and is always in the right location. :p