Club "shack"

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD7TFD, May 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KD7TFD

KD7TFD Ham Member QRZ Page

A wealthy member has donated "EVERYTHING". Building, parts, test gear, etc.

The club is responsible for the electric bill & upkeep of the interior of the shack.

N0TZU likes this.
  2. KD7TFD

Thank everyone for your input. This is a new adventure for our club.

It will continue to be a work in progress. As for remote operation, that will depend on radios the club will have donated. At this time we have a couple of older HF rigs to use. Several used VHF & UHF radios.

3. KD7TFD

I will post some pics early next week..

4. KD7TFD

Attached Files:

N0TZU likes this.
  5. KD7TFD

As you can see, it is a work in progress. naturally, as in every group we have some nay-sayers but that is to be expected.

The library is amazing, we have QST's from 1923, 19 years before I was born. I am very impressed & will probably be spending some time there. Only being licensed since 2002, I have a tremendous amount to learn. sure hope the old saying of "you can't teach an Old Dog new tricks" gets proven to be a myth.

I will answer any questions I can.. I truly thank Jay (W3MMM) for his reply. Yesterday we had a Board meeting, I presented his "thoughts" and they were well received, a couple of them we had not thought of.

I really appreciate all of your comments. You may not realize it, but all of you are helping to make our "Shack" a better place for our group & I personally thank you.

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I hope it all comes together while folks are young enough to complete the work; my limited experience indicates the older guys have the money but start losing the energy (physically), so it can take some younger blood to do the heavy lifting like tower and antenna work.

Looks like a terrific start! The library should be a fun place to spend time. Better still if there's a restroom adjacent.:p:)

7. KD7TFD

We live in a retirement community, the overwhelming majority of us are in our 60's, 70's & 80's. We have one member that is 93.

I am doing my best to get some type of ham program into our local schools. So far, the biggest problem is find members willing to teach the young people. Something I will be addressing at our next general membership meeting on June 1st.

It is just a beginning..:)

8. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Wowsers! A great undertaking. Good on you guys for doing the library first. Most clubs would rush to do the rigs with the intention of doing the library later. Once on the air, nobody would care about a library any more.

KD7TFD likes this.
  9. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been president of my club for over six years and we've had three different meeting places in that time. We've been lucky in that none of the venues wanted payment. We're currently in a training classroom at a local fire station. We were able to get this room because our club supports the city emergency communications and helps with the operation and maintenance of the city's back-up communications trailer. I would love to find a building like this for a permanent home for our club.

10. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We have a nice little shack here in our retirement community. We have 65 - 70 members in the club. http://www.sccarc.info/

The main operating position has a ICOM 756PRo with a ICOM PW1 amp and Force 12 beam. There is another of the same rig (set up for digital also ) with
    a MFJ 600W Amp and a vertical antenna.

The shack also houses our 2M and 440 repeaters, Echolink connection, Packet gear, Emcomm stuff, parts etc. Its in a Hurricane reinforced building with
    automatic generator.

Look for KE4ZIP 9:20 - 10:00 AM Eastern on 20M USB 14.282 +- Mondays and Wednesdays