Club "shack"

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD7TFD, May 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. KD7TFD

KD7TFD Ham Member QRZ Page

The West Valley A. R. C. in sun City, AZ has a new "Shack", it is a work in progress. we have a commercial building w/ 2 20'x40' rooms with a pass thru door between the rooms. One room is a work area complete with all test equipment one could possibly want, tons of spare parts for projects.

We will also 2 towers, a 55' tubular with a Tri-bander , 13 element 2m yagi, and possibly a 6m yagi. antennas The other tower is a 40' Rohn that will support Vhf/UHF antennas & a couple of dipoles. The station will be in the room next to the work area. This room will have a "secure" room for our security monitors, donated equipment the club will have available for sale & the really expensive test equipment. We also will have room for our board meetings & a complete library with a collection of QST, CQ & 73 magazines dating back to the 30's, along with a multitude of ham radio related books.

do anyther clubs have a "Club Shack"? Also we will have a key card/fob access lock. We ar considering charging a $5/10.00 deposit for for the cards/fobs. Any thoughts?

Pat
    KD7TFD

2. K8AI

K8AI Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like a nice club to belong to with that facility. One of the problems with a couple I've had dealings with is that there seem to be club officers who want to keep that work/test area to themselves and not let in to the area anyone except the higher inner circle. Such an outfit won't see me staying a member, that's for sure.

3. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds cool! If I ever did a club station I would add remote functionality so club members could use it all from home

4. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We have a code door lock and the facility is locked with a key on external doors. Qualified members can get a key.

The club in Tampa , FL TARC, has an outstanding remote setup that members can use as well as at the club building.

5. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

A couple of thoughts:

1. As others have said, be careful that the station doesn't become limited to just a few. To me, such a station is a very strong asset to attract and keep active members.

2. Having said that, have a plan for maintenance and operations that include many people, particularly those who get usage benefits. For instance, have an expectation that users do X,Y,Z checks or inspections as they leave the station each time. Have operators help with any QSL duties. Maybe even have a "tithe" expectation, where for every 10 hours of use, 1 hour of volunteer work is expected, if the work is needed.

3. Consider using the station in a kind of goodwill outreach tool, where maybe you know people in other clubs, and have reciprocal agreements, or arranged visits or such. So maybe my club in MD also has a station, and we agree that if our members are in your area, or vice-versa, that we would allow access.

4. Use the station for public access. While classes and such are important, nothing 'sells' ham radio like doing ham radio. Maybe you have a once-a-month Saturday afternoon open house where the public is invited to come in and operate. Maybe you solicit local hams who are not club members to come do the same. You know, we talk about how many folks get their tech license and then drop out - I think it is often for lack of knowing 'what's next'. Your station could allow them to DO ham radio, which in turn could get them into your club, into the hobby and toward an upgrade.

5. Keep careful track of who owns what - have documents when things are donated, on loan, etc. You don't want some misunderstanding a few years down the road.

6. Have a committee that makes decisions for the station, and make sure they have both the authority and the responsibility to keep it up. Have this documented almost as if it were its own club.

7. Consider a raison d'etre - your mission statement, if you will. Maybe it is a memorial station, maybe it is to strengthen the club, etc.

KU4X likes this.
  6. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Not valid post without pictures....let us see.

7. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Some good advice.

8. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

K1WAS is both an observatory and a club ham shack!

I wish it was more active. Most of the hams operate from home. Only when the group meets / events do I know people uses the club shack radios. We were thinking about making it a remote usable shack in the future.

9. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

And this is key - for hams in HOA and other situations where they want to play radio but are limited on HF from their home. They use the club shack remotely, which keeps them active in the club (and up on their dues) and is a win-win all around if the club can enable remote operating.

I spent 20 years wishing this existed!

WU8Y and K1SZO like this.
  10. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm curious about the financial outlay involved for all this. It can't be cheap...