Club database and accounting

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Clubs' started by AA5AZ, Jul 24, 2017.

?

What do you use to keep up with membership

1. Notebook

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. MS Access

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. MS Excel

80.0%
  4. An Open Source Tool

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other

20.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure what that means. However my comments reflect my style and how I choose to operate an organization, and I have run a few.

Best of luck in your endeavors and keep us posted on this new style of club.

2. AA5AZ

AA5AZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The beauty of ham radio is the diversity of thought. We're different and that is okay. Change is okay.

3. W1XWX

W1XWX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Excel spreadsheet is very sufficient except for the LARGEST clubs. In that case we use PayPal for payment and export a report that shows name, address, date of payment, phone number, email address. This list is combined in Excel with the few members who pay cash or mail in a check. The club has over 400 members by the way. For this club we ENCOURAGE everyone to use PayPal to ease the burden for the Treasurer. 73

AA5AZ likes this.
  4. AA5AZ

Over the past couple months, I have found Excel to be my friends, even copying over information into new tabs for each "committee."
    On the PayPal, we've got to incorporate and we're about to do that - the bank wants all sorts of crap to open an account.

W1XWX likes this.
  5. W1XWX

W1XWX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes the 400+ member club is a 501 3c--- already. We also use Quickbooks to manage all the payments and check register-- along with club fixed assets. If you finally go the Quickbooks route you need to think about longer terms of service for the Treasurer position since there is a learning curve to use Quickbooks. If you try and change Treasurers every year you will definitely mess-up! :)

AA5AZ likes this.
  6. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

dBase :rolleyes:

AA5AZ likes this.
  7. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Treasurer is one position that you should try and keep the same every year. Especially if the new one does not have any accounting experience, they have to be taught how to keep the books, signatures have to be changed at the bank, as well as the account access.

I'd go as far as saying it's a non-ballot position, elected only when the old one wants out. Of course they should be removable at the discretion of the board if not performing correctly.

AA5AZ and W1XWX like this.
  8. AA5AZ

I'll agree with Rich here. We have given the position a 3 year term and no limits. It's Greg's job until he doesn't want it. He is so afraid he's going to make an error that I told him that assures me he's the man for the job. He's on the board at his church (one of the largest around) and signs off on financial decisions and is just a stand up guy from the start!

9. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  10. W1GHD

W1GHD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A couple of thoughts about the Treasurer: agree that it’s not a job that should turn over every year. However, be prepared just in case something happens to the Treasurer. I was twice involved with picking up the pieces, and neither was fun.

The first time, the Treasurer dropped dead of a heart attack. No history, no warning, boom. We didn’t have passwords, access to spreadsheets or bank statements, nothing.

The second time, the Treasurer was caught stealing money from the organization. Records were falsified, statements and checks were missing. We had no idea how much money we had, and if bills had actually been paid.

In both cases, it took months to straighten things out. One person was responsible for the money, and no one else had a clue. We established procedures where records are stored in the cloud and reviewed by others on a regular basis. I’ve stayed on as Treasurer of the second organization for the last seven years, and I still insist that someone else looks at the books every month.

Also, sign up for TechSoup once you’re established as a 501(c) (3). You can purchase QuickBooks and Microsoft Office for next to nothing, which will make the Treasurer’s life much easier.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    AA5AZ likes this.