Club "Christmas" party vs "Holiday" party?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Clubs' started by AI7PM, Nov 24, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W1TRY

W1TRY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

How to be offended, must watch for the holidays:

AI7PM, N0TZU and WN1MB like this.
  2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes it is! From the shack of WN1MB - very black - no sugar, please:

[​IMG]

3. WN1MB

Nor are there any at the vast majority of otherwise "innocent" Christmas parties, unless Christmas trees or Christmas lights, or Christmas cheer are too thematic for those who suffer from perpetual and sometimes terminal butt hurt.

And it's called Christmas; not CHRISTmas, for Christ's sake!

That sounds like a fun get together, Dave.

W1TRY likes this.
  4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

And thats a good way to avoid even a tiny shred of offense to the super sensitive.

Just to be clear, the issue that the OP refers to isn’t about an overtly religious Christmas party, which would be inappropriate for most ham radio clubs, but rather just using the name itself. (How do I know? I’m in the club the OP refers to and got the same emails...)

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I'ts just called "W7DK Holiday Awards Banquet"

Read whatever in or out. I'm Jewish ;) Doesn't bug me in the slightest.

Dave
    W7UUU

AI7PM, WN1MB and N0TZU like this.
  6. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like this entire thread was created as a diatribe about anything that isn't Christian. As if broaching the subject was an attack on Christians. I seriously doubt it was. It was more likely brought up to ensure it was an exclusion of non-Christians to the event.

Too much "me against the world" is happening right now.

WU8Y likes this.
  7. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll reply to your questions with a further question. Do you think that challenging club members with the King James version of Luke 2:!4 is "inclusive"? Because that's just one translation (others as not so inclusive), and you missed what comes before the phrase you quoted, "Glory to God in the highest".

I have no issue with folks celebrating the way they choose. If you have a club with people of different faiths, why not include them all?

Or not. Your choice. I don't get offended easily, but I also respect the beliefs of others, and the potential discomfort.

8. K1SZO

Love the post. Then tune in on 80m and think. WTF?

9. K1SZO

This is a good post, though I will say this. I accept others and their beliefs as long as they do not force their beliefs on me. (or harm me in any way) I mean, if someone and their beliefs don't harm you. Then why in hell are some people so up in arms about it? Live and let live otherwise, if you live by the sword. Then you shall die by the sword. (ie, if you hate on others, expect to be hated upon. (in all forms you put forth)

10. WN1MB

I didn't miss what came before the phrase I quoted. I'll answer your question, though:

Calling a get together that coincides with the month of December a "Christmas Party" is NOT restrictive to attendance in any way, shape, or form. As for "challenging club members with the King James version of Luke 2:14" - really? Do you really believe that phrase I quoted was non-inclusive?

Sheesh!