ad: SteppIR-1

Circuit board trace repair and failures

Discussion in 'Radio Circuits, Repair & Performance' started by KC4UMO, Dec 13, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. SOLDERTRAINING

SOLDERTRAINING QRZ Member

Circuit Board Failure Reasons:
    a.Discrete Component Failure - excessive heat, rises in ESR
    b.Power Component Failure - heat, over or under voltage
    c.Trace Damage - power surges, lightning strikes, metallic dust
    d.Physical damage - plain, old damage

AF6LJ likes this.
  2. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

In my board rework area, I have a Pace PRC 2000 (PPS-400) with an LF-15 LapFlo handpiece, a Pulse Plate handpiece and a MicroChine. Also present are a goodly amount of Pace and APE funnelets and circuit-track repair strips. This setup will repair multilayer boards if the tracks aren't too tight and you have a patient operator working the thing.

One word of advice for the gang in general: When repairing a burned board, remove ALL (every bit) of the damaged PCB material without penetrating through the entire board. This is where the MicroChine or a Dremel tool with appropriate bits comes in handy. You may then mix a filler of ground-up circuit board and epoxy glue; you want more PCB material than you do glue in the slurry. Apply to damaged area(s), smooth and let fully harden then shape, drill and lay new tracks as needed.

KC4UMO and AF6LJ like this.
  3. K8AC

K8AC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great info - thanks for the video. Just wanted to mention in regards to flux: I often use a Kester Flux-Pen where I need some flux laid down on a board. This pen looks like a magic marker, with a similar felt tip, but it puts down a clear flux - just enough to do the job. The one I have is marked "#951" .