ad: elecraft

Chinese 811A "Power Amplifier" Tube from Amazon ??

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by K4ZOT, Dec 20, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

A higher letter sequence is normally used to indicate an improvement or an alternate source such as the 572A and 572B back in the 60's.

Calling it a 811B is something MFJ would do without a conscience...anything to get more suckers to buy junk.

2. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems alot of current production tube distributors and even manufacturer's seem to do their best to latch on to the glory days of the previous tube manufactures. So much some of the distributors gave gone to great lengths to obtain trademarks and copywrites for the names and packaging of now defunct brands and have been dropping old school names onto the marketplace under the moniker in fine print "reissue" .
    Sometimes makes some confusion depending on what marketplace you are shopping ... Certainly sites like eBay requires a bit if homework and even a bit of dumb luck when getting the good stuff.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
    KM1H likes this.
  3. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Was at a Hamfest last Sunday. I met a ham there I casually know an he showed me a cardboard box that had been written on with magic marker that said "572b tubes". There were several tubes in the box. They were unbranded and had no markings on them I could see. The guy was selling the whole box of tubes and this guy thought it was a screaming deal. He came buy to show me his bargain, pulled a tube out and said I just got a great deal on all this box of 572b tubes. He handed me a tube to look at and I immediately told him they were not 572b's but rather 811's. He insisted they were 572b's and I told him they are NOT and they are 811's. He would not believe me and walked away seemingly discussed with me. As he shuffled off I said better not put them in a 572b amp. WOW.

KJ4NOO likes this.
  4. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It's a bargain! :)

kaboom.png

:(

KA9JLM likes this.
  5. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

PT Barnum is alive and well and humanity is still loaded with fools waiting to be taken.

6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

That is especially true in the audiofool world using names that have not had their various documentation renewed.
    The sorriest excuse is that dirtbag down in NYC that literally stole the Svetlana name for use in the US.
    https://www.newsensor.com/ContactUs.aspx
    https://www.stereophile.com/news/022304svetlana/index.html

I still have my #2 son pick up items at the factory in St Petersburg when he goes there with his GF to visit her family. They live in Montenegro and will be here in about 6 weeks when he goes to Boston for his Masters ceremony at the Berklee College Of Music and then spend the remaining two weeks here.

Carl

K6LPM likes this.
  7. N6UH

N6UH Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm guessing there's some smoke there? Just need the mirrors! :p

KD2ACO likes this.
  8. K4ZOT

K4ZOT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Update: My third Taylor tube shorted out last week (3-4 years old). So I replaced it with my third "Music" 811A. The first two were installed in 12/2019 and still going strong. So far so good with the "Music" tubes - output 450 watts on 20M.

W1TRY, KD2ACO and K6LPM like this.
  9. K4ZOT

K4ZOT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

12/2018 not 12/2019