Chinese 811A "Power Amplifier" Tube from Amazon ??

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by K4ZOT, Dec 20, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. K4ZOT

K4ZOT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Update: Well, I've been using the Amazon "music" tubes in my AL-811 for 3 months now nearly 100% on FT8. Still 400 watts out - no decrease in power. Seem to be running fine.

KP4SX and KA9JLM like this.
  2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Just don't broadcast. :p

3. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

True story!

4. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

BTW- your post is not relevant Carl. Who owns RCA 811A tubes? The discussion is about modern and available new Chinese 811A tubes. The Chinese 811A tubes do not need to be reduced in modern amplifier advertised power output as you state. I would reduce output about 100 watts less on the Ameritron amps myself though.

5. WA5VGO

WA5VGO Ham Member QRZ Page

If it doesn’t meet the original RCA specifications in every way, then it’s not an 811A and shouldn’t be called one.

6. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, but try to tell that to those who are truly not relevant and just continue to spread the same stuff over a few forums.
    It doesnt take much knowledge at all to see the huge physical difference between the RCA and other US built versions, and the fraudulent Chinese ones. If the Chinese copied the RCA and not the Russian 811 (non A) we wouldnt be having these discussions over and over.

Even with RCA, etc, ones the AL-800H is only a 600W output amp ....period. Americrap tries to con users into believing it was the same as a 30L1 and even poor tuning would destroy those also....I saw that regularly at USAF MARS stations in the 60's.

Carl

7. N8FVJ

I agree the AL811H is a 600 watt PEP out amp. And the AL-811 is a 450 watt PEP out amp. Frankly I never cared for any 811A tube. Great filament power, fragile tiny plate.

The difference is not huge with current 811A and the RCA 811A. Plate is same size, but the horizontal fins on the 811A do have a lot more reserve during tune up. Of course the 572B is far superior to the RCA 811A and I use 572B tubes.

Carl, contact Ameritron and explain their power output ratings are bogus and should be changed. Perhaps Ameritron power output ratings are with the 572B tube option, not the 811A in their amps. The Ameritron power supply is certainly up to the task.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  8. N8FVJ

Oh, should the new 811A tubes be called an 811B? What would you call it?

9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

I did that several years ago and nada. MF Jue dictates the specs and he has a history of exaggerating.
    They still have the AL-811HD in the catalog, dont know how many they sell.

That transformer has been the basis for many HB amps plus some repair reworks as it is rugged and cheap.

Those fins are a welded U channel and add to the basic anode thickness which is a huge improvement for minimizing hot spot meltdowns in normal and reasonably skilled use.

10. WA5VGO

WA5VGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn’t call it what it isn’t. If we’re going to exaggerate, why stop at 811A? Let’s just call it a 572B.