ad: Radclub22-1

Chameleon Antenna Deployment Configurations

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6F, Mar 10, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
  1. KD8WBZ

KD8WBZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The cap hat does ok especially on 20 meters to 80 meters. I work a lot of digital modes like PSK and JT65/JT9 and found it helpful. 160M is a different story in that the antenna set up is to short and the signal doesn't go to far. I have not had a chance to try the slope

2. KD8WBZ

Thank you for the information and help
    Darin. KD8WBZ

3. KD8WBZ

When I used my aantenna analyzer it put a 4:1 SWR on 160M but when I compared it to the manuals specs. It was where it should be fo a vertical configuration. The manual specs shows between 2.5:1 to 3:1 swr using the 60ft wire as a sloper or a inverted V but haven't had a chance to try it and analyze it. My tuner will tune the match on 160M as a vertical but since it's a short length I get out about 400 miles at best. And receiving is a little noisy to

WJ6F likes this.
  4. KZ3H

KZ3H Ham Member QRZ Page

I have used this system and the Micro version with my stations; working North America, Caribbean, Central/South Americas and MARS on all bands. I do use a counterpoise and a coupler at the base, the Micro I use with my FT-817ND which travels well and is easy to operate in hotels. I am in a condo so I string the antenna in a sloper configuration about 25 feet up to the trees.

de KZ3H

WJ6F likes this.
  5. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

I have not yet tried mine on 160M. I think I will when I am next in the high desert so as to have a low noise floor.

6. KC8YXA

KC8YXA Ham Member QRZ Page

Very good video you got me to thinking and building in my head. Looks like I will be ordering an antenna.

WJ6F likes this.
  7. WJ6F

WJ6F Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for watching! I have thoroughly enjoyed this antenna.

8. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

While almost any conductor will radiate to some extent, my experience is that any short single length radiator with a 'Magic Box' at the bottom is more severe compromise than acceptable as the box is primarily a 'SWR load(exception, if the box is a 9+:1 balun and the radiator is of proper length). Run 5 minutes of 30W psk or 100W cw through it and see how hot the magic box gets. If it gets hot, that is where your power is going. There is no free lunch. If I can't understand the theory of how it meets it's 'claims' I usually take a pass. There are satisfactory compromise antennas but they usually obey the laws of physics. YMMV

N6SPP likes this.
  9. VE3BF

VE3BF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Okay I gotta ask, why you need a hand gun in the shot are you compensating for something? :) Only in the USA you Americans crack me up.

10. K1SZO

K1SZO Ham Member QRZ Page

Nah, he is probably just protecting himself from those wacky Canadians. ;) :D :p

KK5R, K3FHP and VE3BF like this.