CEPT operation in Canada

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by VE7CXZ, Apr 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: K3QNTad-1
  1. VE7CXZ

    VE7CXZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

    Hi guys,

    This might be in the wrong forum so apologies in advance if it is!

    I'm going to be visiting Victoria, BC in a week or two for a job interview. The company I'm interviewing with has offered to put me up for a few days to see the area (as I've never been before), and I'm thinking of chucking the 706 in my rucksack and making the most of an opportunity I might not get again!

    My question is this - I hold a CEPT Class 1 equivalent licence, however I have not passed a Morse test. The information on the RAC website seems to be a bit vague, but seems to suggest that with my licence I can operate on HF (as VE7/M0VKG). Is this the case? Obviously I don't want to be breaking any laws, so I'm hoping to get a definitive answer before I go. If I can't use HF, I'll forego the 706 and just chuck my FT-60 in my bag :)

  2. K0RGR

    K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    Hopefully a Canadian will give you a better answer, but I found this from their web page: http://www.rac.ca/en/amateur-radio/regulatory/operating-outside-canada/country.php On that page, it states that CEPT Class I holders have full privileges in Canada.

    I haven't been to Victoria lately, but I thought it was a most amazing place when I visited. It's probably the most British of the cities in western Canada. It's also a ferry ride from Port Angeles, Washington, and Vancouver, or two ferry rides to Seattle. The gardens there are spectacular, and you're surrounded by the flavor of Alaska and the Inland Passage. Find shelter when the rain starts, though - unless you want a bath. I don't think I've seen it rain that hard anywhere else outside BC. I haven't been there recently enough to comment on ham radio on the island, but I toured the island on a motorcycle with a mobile rig on the gas tank, and it was pretty busy from Nanaimo south. I keep trying to get the XYL up there with me, but for some reason, we never make it.
  3. VE7CXZ

    VE7CXZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

    Thanks for the reply - I'm looking forward to the trip, as I've never been to Canada before (out outside of Europe, for that matter...), so it'll be a nice change of scenery for a few days :)

    I had seen the link you posted, and it does say CEPT Class 1 have full privileges, but it also mentions CW a few times (which I don't have), which is why I wanted to check. I also managed to speak to a few contacts who have been recently, who confirmed that CW or no CW, HF is permitted with the CEPT Class 1 licence.

    Now to decide what to take and how to fit it in! :)


  4. VE3RHE

    VE3RHE Ham Member QRZ Page

    Andy - I'm not confirming whether CW is required in Canada or not, however, I applied for my CEPT for a potential trip to Scotland and was told I could use HF there yet I don't have CW either. Sounded like it wasn't required in either country.

    73, Robert
  5. K0RGR

    K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    It would be nice if somebody from Canada could tell us the status of lower-level U.S. hams that didn't pass a code test. It's pretty clear that CEPT Class I licensees are OK, but the U.S. and Canada have their own agreement. In the past, VHF-only U.S. hams were limited to similar operations in Canada, but General Class U.S. hams could operate HF there. I'm not sure if that' still the case, the way that the agreements are written. I passed code tests for Novice, General and Extra many years ago, and should still be able, but there's no way to really prove that anymore, since code is not required for any license here. This question comes up periodically, and answers have been elusive. Perhaps nobody in Canada knows?

    I revisited the RAC web site, and it looks like any U.S. ham who has not passed a code test is limited to the Canadian Basic License privileges. So a U.S. no-code Extra has VHF only privileges in Canada? Since we have no code tests, that means all U.S. hams in the future. At the least the Europeans recognize the Extra class as a full license.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page

ad: Schulman-1