ad: elecraft

CB’rs on 28.000Mhz plus? What can be done about this?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WB4JHS, Oct 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Are they staying on .00 frequency channels?

N3AB likes this.
  2. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

"Freebanders" pose a threat to all Amateur bands they infringe upon. They migrate into a area where they can talk "peacefully " away from "lids", just like themselves. Most of the infringement I have noticed occurs between mobile stations traveling. They are unable to communicate within the allotted area where they are allowed because of the garbage such as the likes of them have created so they move to a clear area. I'm not sure what can be done to stop it but concerned Amateurs like you I speaking about it is a start. Thanks for being concerned and bringing a meaningful dialog about it to a public forum. 73 Rich

ND6M likes this.
  3. WD8ED

WD8ED Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry all. Technically 28.000 MHz LSB isn’t in the ham 10 meter band. Thus, you cannot legally operate 28.000 MHz LSB as an American ham. So technically it’s not our problem and there’s nothing you can do about but complain.

Ed

4. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good grief. Talk about totally missing the point. Whoosh.

K7MH, ND6M, K3XR and 1 other person like this.
  5. AG5CK

AG5CK Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems like the last action I heard on 12m was a couple of truck drivers. The fancy cb sets have a lot more channels these days.

6. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

The OP said they were on "28.000 plus," so I assumed they were in the ham band. If they are inside the ham band, then I would put the filters on narrow and call CQ in CW within their passband.

Because I'm such a nice guy, I wouldn't maliciously interfere with them by transmitting on top of them, in the extremely unlikely event that they are allowed to be there, they are making a distress call, etc. Instead, I would wait until they stop transmitting and then call CQ. They're probably not entitled to any protection from interference, but they are certainly not entitled to a quiet frequency when they're not even using the frequency.

If they're on 27.999 or below, then they're not my problem, and I wouldn't do anything.

7. N0IOP

N0IOP Ham Member QRZ Page

While I take no sides, I find the politics and culture of the freebanders to be fascinating. It's pretty clear that there is -- zip zap zero commercial interest -- in this segment of the spectrum. The well-heeled HF/ALE users (aviation, government, marine, remote area commercial) don't care about anything above 20 meters or so because they can't rely on it. Commercial interest in low-band VHF has been declining but there are still some railroad users, the Red Cross, and a few others, but even those are up around 40 MHz and above.

So there's this piece of spectrum that no one really cares about much anymore, because of the large antennas and unpredictable skip, and the freebanders have moved in.

As for the 10 meter band, well, in the absence of a band opening, do you use it? Do you have a long whip and a mobile transceiver that works on 10m? Or a net or sched or whatever?

KK4CUL and WD4IGX like this.
  8. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Seems these sorts of threads pop up from time to time. Usually around the equinox it seems.

Often, it's a localized phenomenon when the MUF is where it is lately. Even so, if it bothers you just get on the frequency and use it. Show these freebanders that the spectrum isn't so free after all. Over time, that is probably the only thing that will move the scofflaws off. Coming here and proclaiming the sky is falling does nothing, but I understand the sentiment.

K4PIH likes this.
  9. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

Ed I believe he added the "plus" meaning above 28.000, additionally its not uncommon to hear unauthorized traffic in the 10,2,6 meter bands. Generally site point to point local traffic much of the time mobile. Those types of infringements are mostly not possible to prevent unfortunately. Licensed Amateurs having a conversation regarding infringements is a positive step I believe of at the least acknowledging our awareness of it. Freebanders are infringing daily within the commercial spectrum as well, within the FM, AM, shortwave areas as pirate stations. With the ease of purchasing transmitters today it is likely to only get worse. 73 Rich

10. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Reminds me of CB Channel 22A

The extra channel between 22 and 23 that started it all.

W1TRY and WZ7U like this.