ad: k1jek

Can't Get WSJT-X to Transmit

Discussion in 'OS: Mac OS' started by K8GRR, Oct 12, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. K8GRR

K8GRR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi.

I'm trying to configure my station for JT65. I think I'm almost there, but the problem I'm running into is that when I answer a CQ or click "Tune" in WSJT-X, it puts my Kenwood TS570D into TX - but there is no output. The PTT test button in the software indicates that I have a good connection, and as I said the radio is triggered, but nothing comes out. I have tried increasing the TX output level on the Signalink, but this makes no difference.

I'm using the current version of WSJT-X, version 10.12.6 of the Mac Sierra OS, and I have a Signalink USB for my interface.

I suspect the problem is that my iMac sound card is not sending anything to Signalink USB (and then to the radio). I've set my Mac audio input and output settings for "USB Audio Codec" (which works for PSK31) and the audio format to "2ch 16 bit integer 48.0 kHz. Through trial and error it appears that 38400 is the appropriate baud rate (both WSJT-X and the radio are set for this). I have tried cranking up the TX level on Signalink, but this hasn't made any difference.

When operating PSK31 with FLDIGI and FLRIG, I've occasionally run into situations where the sound output randomly goes through the computer speakers, but this has been the exception rather than the rule. In the present case the radio indicates that it is transmitting - but there is no output anywhere.

Any help that you can provide would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian, K8GRR

2. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

Throwing a few questions out:

-- have you set the menu item 34 for the audio output level?
    -- what method is WSJT-X using to put the rig into transmit?
    -- are you using the interface port on the rear of the rig?
    -- did you use Audio Midi Setup to obtain 2ch 16-bit 48kc for both Input & Output?

I have occasionally had an interaction with MacOS System Preferences/Sound that make are illogical, but when selecting the device I want to use for digital work, the problems go away

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  3. AI6AK

AI6AK Ham Member QRZ Page

4. K8GRR

K8GRR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for the suggestions, questions and observations.

Menu 34 is set to "9" (max)
    Using CAT to put rig in transmit (and it tests successfully)
    Yes, using interface port in rear (and this works for PSK31)
    Yes both audio input and output are set for 2ch 16 bit 48kHz
    Memory settings have been changed
    Hesitant to download driver in view of the fact that rig works for PSK31 using FLDIGI

Any additional thoughts and/or suggestions would be much appreciated.

K8GRR