ad: cq2k-1

Can't confirm QSO

Discussion in 'Logbook User Forum' started by K2CQW, Jul 10, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. W1DQ

W1DQ Logbook Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It is not necessary to be logged into QRZ at the time of the QSO. A QSO record can be entered at any time, even years after the QSO occurred, and in fact that often occurs as new users upload their records via an ADIF file created earlier. I also log my QSOs on paper and only monthly enter them into my electronic logbook. When I first used QRZ, some QSO records entered were decades old and some of these have surprisingly been confirmed

UTC is a time standard and not a time zone. UTC time is the same throughout the world and it is not adjusted for daylight savings time or other local adjustments. Users having the ability to pass an amateur radio license examinations should have the capability of converting their local time to UTC units. If you work a party in a different time zone and both of you record it in UTC units the date/time should match; QRZ only requires that they match within 30 minutes and exact agreement is not a requirement.

Only the band is required, not the exact frequency; e.g. 40m. Same for mode - CW or SSB, etc., select from pull down menu.

QRZ requires confirmation by matching data entered on a double-blind basis. Many suggest a relaxation to these rules so that one can merely accept another's data; QRZ does not agree.

AB3TQ and KJ3N like this.
  2. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

There certainly is a standard time in ham radio. It's called GMT or UTC.

It's not the system's fault if you refuse to use the standard, or can't properly convert between local time and GMT/UTC.

Then you will continue to have problems here.

I don't even use the QRZ system and I know this is BS. The system works just fine, if you following logging standards that have been used in ham radio for nearly 100 years.

There's no reason for it to change. There's nothing wrong.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  3. F5VHZ

F5VHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I have tried adjusting the time when it got rejected!! Im English and live in France, 1 hr in front of the UK, and have tried using CET
    Central European time, and GMT Greenwich Mean Time ( and we invented that) but my qso's are still rejected !! I have tried taking a complete page and altering the time - 1 hr and even + 1 hr but the system rejects it !!! so the only reason according to your logic is that the other station has logged a different time ! yes ? if i'm using gmt or cet or even a sundial if the other person has entered a (his) local time then it's a no go......But if when trying to confirm i could actually see his log then i could put the same time....and there would be no problem...
    I have had requests to use an alternative logging /confirmation site, but i want to use this one, but im not getting any solution to the problem....
    I have asked for help, tried to understand what I need to do to get the confirmations, and all this is for the other persons benefit, not mine.

I don't care if people send me a qsl card or not, I don't need conformation. I do send qsl cards when asked for one, I do try and confirm calls but im not going to bust a gut over it !!! Thats why on my qrz page I state very clearly if you fail to get a confirmation them EMAIL ME DIRECTLY and I will reply...
    At the special events i will be sending photo quality qsl confirmations to everyone, so i don't need to have them "qrz" confirmed !!! they will email me directly....and that works. and they will get entered into my "qrz" logbook which i am grateful to be able to use. it's easy to look up my comments, and see what country's I have worked with which antenna, etc.
    quote...
    I am doing three special events here in France in the next 8 weeks
    Each time I will be portable operating from my Half Size Landrover
    on 14.220 and 7.120 as well as some CW both fast and slow, 5 to 25 wpm
    I will log ALL my QSO's as Local time .....
    Then you will continue to have problems here. end quote !

All stations will be logged on my contact board in local time, for the public to see, then entered into the qrz log minus one hour to CET but this will not cure the problem, I will still have refusals...
    Eventually the bulk of qso's for all ham's will get logged on the easiest to use site, with the best display, and look up menu's.
    Im simply trying to get the system working by reporting a problem, if no solution is found then I will move on when i find a better package to do the logging and confirmations. So will others, ...saying there is no problem is not the right response..

I had a saying when i worked in industrial electronics with Paramount, I would get conflicting information from different people so I would ask, Do you understand the problem, or are you part of it? Although this is a bit harsh it would usually get the desired result by the instant red faces and people walking off,,,leaving me with the works engineer or machinist that actually did know what the problem was, then i could fix it !!

For me and my hundreds of QSO's i have a problem, regardless of which time zone I use!!! so could the person with a solution to the problem please step forward....

YB1DML likes this.
  4. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

Solution: Don't use the QRZ system.

Despite all the ranting and raving you've done, there is no problem with the system.

I think you would be better off on the eQSL system. At least there, you can see what time the other person used.

5. W1DQ

W1DQ Logbook Administrator Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The only requirement for a confirmation to be automatically indicated is when you have a record entered into your logbook that matches a corresponding record entry in your worked party's logbook that matches by callsigns, band, mode, and date/time within a 30-minute window.

If a confirmation does not exist then:
    1. either you or your worked party does not have a record of the QSO entered in its logbook, or
    2. the data in one or more of the required matching fields is in disagreement between the parties.
    Concluding, if you have received a request from a worked party then it has a record of the QSO in its logbook, then you need to enter a corresponding record in your logbook. If you have or do and a confirmation does not occur, then a state of disagreement remains that can only be resolved through direct contact with the party,

6. F5VHZ

F5VHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes I did actually sign up to eqsl years ago, I actually forgot why i stopped using it!! probably because you get messages like this
    Sorry, This Feature is Reserved for Silver and Gold Members , so it's like parking meters, PAY to DISPLAY !! not my cup of tea. and it looks so old fashioned written in dos I wouldn't wonder.. but it does show the time logged by the other contact so there is no problem in confirming, works a treat. Just that the listing has to be paid for, the qsl cards are crap unless you pay for uploading your own, (You must be a Bronze member (or higher) if you wish to use certain special graphics, or to upload a custom graphic of your own design.) and what is the point of having the same background for your qsl card as 65,000 other people. And the actual visual logbook is nowhere as nice and easy on the eye as the QRZ one... but it is usable and shows the contact's logged time..

ps I don't mind donating, I actually enjoy helping answer questions, showing my own designs and helping directly by email anyone who asks for help. Im not as bad as I make out to be....
    But if the confirmation worked as well on here it would be ACE !!

7. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Sounds like the only way you'll ever be satisfied is if you start your own QSO matching system.

And I don't mean that as an insult.

8. W5NAL

W5NAL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

All 32 of my unconfirmed logs have errors? I don't think so.

9. W1DQ

I have checked your worked party's log for four QSO's selected at random from your log. [ KB7OUU, K0STP, K0UND, W2SCW] All have yet to enter their corresponding QSO record with you. Time does not permit more checking. You apparently are new to logging; not all log in real time but only periodically update their logs to QRZ and others. There is no evidence of a system problem.

10. KS3O

KS3O XML Subscriber QRZ Page

One of the challenges I see with all of the logging sites out there is that not everyone uses the same sites. I'm a new Ham, but noticed that a few of the contacts I've made had no entries in QRZ and no profile there either, indicating to me that IF they are sharing QSO info, that it is either through paper QSL cards or through other sites. I'm curious, how many sites do I need to use to make sure my QSO's are confirmed? I'm not complaining. I want to find a way to automate the sharing of my logs, so I don't have to either spend lots of time downloading/uploading files or manually entering QSO's on multiple sites.

Cheers, Scott (K3IVN)