Cant build the kit? Blame the kit maker.

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by W7ND, Nov 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-innov
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-Geochron
  1. W7ND

W7ND Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't believe what I just read. No wonder it seems not a month goes by you dont hear of a smaller ham related enterprise closing it's doors. This is why I have such a hard time with paypal. No doubt even with the complete burden of proof on his side some idiot will get his money back and the kit maker will get screwed out of his money.
  2. NQ3X

NQ3X Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow. What a douche. Good on Dale for soldiering on.
  3. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think kit suppliers are in an especially exposed situation. They have to choose what their policy will be in regards to things like this. Do they attempt to fix it? Do they replace the kit? Or do they have some fine print somewhere that makes it clear whose responsibility it actually is? Then, you have companies like Elecraft that say they "...won't let you fail...". I'm sure even they have some limits.

I hate to admit it, but even with my experience, I've had a kit or two that never worked the way I expected it to, and I've also had kits that were incomplete or had the wrong parts. Usually, the vendor has been of assistance, but I don't really expect that much help - if I mess it up, it's my problem.
  4. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is why I am at DAYTON and PACIFICON Teaching Soldering to kids and new Hams. Everyone should know how to do this if they are going to be COMPETENT Hams! I am just APPALLED at the soldering job the CLOWN did on that board. What an INSULT! I have had 6 year old kids do a MUCH better job than that! The idiot who soldered that board deserves to be OUTED and publically SHAMED! What a TRAVESTY!

I understand some people have eyesight and motor control problems in which case they shouldn't even attempt such a project. But this obviously was done by someone just plain STUPID!
  5. AB8RO

AB8RO Ham Member QRZ Page

The kit maker outed him already.

6. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm still assembling my Vanna kit. Will let you know how it works out.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
  7. WA6MHZ

QRZed needs to see this!

Congratulations, W0! U just won the WORST SOLDERING JOB in the History of MANKIND AWARD!
  8. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

This schmuck is in Evans City? Great. I'll have to remember to watch for him at local hamfests...
  9. WA6MHZ

Here is the Soldering iron he used

10. N9DSJ

N9DSJ Subscriber QRZ Page

Not quite J-STD-001, is it?
  11. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

And here's the solder. 30/70 bar solder.
    bar solder.jpg
  12. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a similar situation many years back with a kit that a friend put together. This friend worked for Motorola as a mechanic. But he always thought of himself
    as a scientist. Motorola would offer courses in various areas and if an employee took the course, and passed it, they would get a small raise. This was a good
    incentive to take their courses. One of the courses was on the Motorola 6800 micro processor. As part of the course they gave him a 6800 processor kit and
    part of the course was to assemble the kit and work with it.

Well, this friend didn't like all of the yukky flux resin on his board, so he used solder that did not have a flux core. I estimated that there were about 2,000
    cold solder joints on the board. The assembly was correct, so all I had to do was slather the board in flux and the re-solder the whole board. After
    I got done, the whole thing worked as advertised. Then I soaked it in flux solvent to clean it up.

I don't remember what the solvent was (carbon tetrafluoride ?) but I believe that it's no longer legal to use. I got a face full of it once and thought
    I was going to go blind. Short of my appendix going bad, I never felt something that hurt that bad.
  13. W7KKK

W7KKK Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes I am afraid the days of a maker being able to warranty a kit are pretty much long gone.
    People don't know how to solder and many don't seem to want to learn.
    So what do they expect to get out of a kit?
    And so many today don't read manuals that it's rather disgusting.
    Not understanding is one thing, failure to read it in the first place is their fault.

A club I was in bought some Elecraft kits a few years back with the idea that the newbies could learn to solder with help and we would make it a project that all could enjoy. Just a few people put the things together in the end as the newbies lost interest in a hurry.

So many of the younger generation are just not hands on types and have no interest in learning either. It's sad.
  14. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Subscriber QRZ Page

15. W7KKK

I cannot get your link to load???
  16. WB7OXP

WB7OXP Ham Member QRZ Page

17. WW7F

WW7F Guest

If the guy does not have some physical condition we do not know about, it looks like he enjoyed a few beers maybe before "building " it if one can actually call that crappy soldering job! Heck even seen stuff soldered with acid core solder and this tops some of that stuff.
    Learning to solder is part of the hobby, I know that was one of the first things I learned to do,every ham should be able to solder properly, Good job Pat teaching kids to solder the right way!:) 73,Michelle:)
  18. N0SYA

N0SYA Ham Member QRZ Page

I most definitely blame fender for my not being able to play a strat.
  19. W7KKK

I made some real mistakes in my first kit when I got a clock radio when I was about 11. I had no idea how to solder and my father got me a Weller solder gun, one of those two stage trigger level jobs that could melt components! Some of us learned the hard way. But that radio did work and we just threw it away a few years ago as we just did not need it anymore.
    I spent a lot of time on the bench doing overhauls of the equipment that was used to monitor the reactors in our nuclear subs. We did chassis teardown and reassembly sometimes with completely new wiring harnesses. We all had to solder and work to a given standard and all work was inspected by trained/certified nuclear electrical systems inspectors. Our wraps were all the same, the amount of solder, you name it.I even trained for that inspector position but did not like the work once I got there and returned to the bench/sub work.
    But as a result of the equipment and the standardization and excellent training we never really had much of a problem with our subs at sea nuclear related like the Russians either.
    I have seen lots of HeathKits (and others) that would just not work right and they were fixed simply by reflowing the terrible joints that people did with their kits.
    I have taught many how to solder in my life and to me it seems like such a simple thing. You just need to be shown how.
  20. WB7OXP

WB7OXP Ham Member QRZ Page

i remember back hundreds, or maybe thousands of years ago, when i was a weeeee ute.

a uncle, and long time ham, was at my house, and needed to solder something. i had a soldering iron, but no "free solder", he correctly re-soldered some wires i had soldered in the "drip drip drip" style i then used, and was able to get all the solder he needed to fix whatever it was he was working on. apparently, more is not always better.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.