ad: elecraft

Can't Beat Yaesu!

Discussion in 'Discussions, Opinions & Editorials' started by KB0MMB, Apr 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-Geochron
ad: l-innov
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-rl
  1. KB0MMB

KB0MMB Ham Member QRZ Page

Had this FT 950 for about 2 weeks and have to say
    It's NOTHING less than GREAT!
    I got MANY contacts in South America and Australia
    and the radio is just fun to use.
    Looks good,has everything I want for's not a
    $5000 radio but acts like one.
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Glad you like it!

I sold mine, it didn't keep up with the TS-850S or the Orion.

But it is a nice-looking and fun rig for sure.
  3. K9ASE

K9ASE Ham Member QRZ Page

It sounds like you're really having fun enjoy!:)
  4. KB0MMB

KB0MMB Ham Member QRZ Page

I might add that the Samlex 1235 is quite and runs
    this 950 perfect!
  5. WB2WIK

There, fixed that!:eek:
  6. WB2WIK

BTW, I think you "can" beat Yaesu, but that's only an opinion.

Try an Orion-II and see what you think.:eek: You'd have to put them side-by-side to make an objective comparison.

I did that, for three months.
  7. W9CW

W9CW Ham Member QRZ Page

At $4,395.00 vs. $1,400.00, I'd hope so! I'm a long-term Ten-Tec owner, but we really should compare Apples with Apples here, not manufacturer-wise, but price-wise. Having also owned, or currently own, an IC-7800, several Ten-Tec Omni's (but, never an Orion or Orion-II), a TS-590. and a FT-950, I can say in real-world operation, the FT-950 is pretty darn good.

Now, let's all consider the Swiss ADAT ADT-200A, which might just beat them all, but its price is over CHF (Swiss Franc) 5,200 - another case of not comparing Apples to Apples! :)

Don W9CW
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  8. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Subscriber QRZ Page

Wait ... Apple is making iHam radios now? :p
  9. N0SYA

N0SYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Now that I've had a rig with a spectrum scope nothing will ever be the same. I can't imagine why (stand alone) rigs are bought without them today.
  10. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess I'm easy to please. Have had the same rig for the past ten years. Yeah, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles the newer rigs have but it's performance is okay for my operations. I have made improvements on it. Put in an INRAD filter and added the CW filter. Just puttering around and having fun.
    Can't ask for much more than that. Maybe someday I will get a newer rig and I'm sure KB0MMB will be glad to suggest something;).
  11. AG6JU

AG6JU Ham Member QRZ Page

I have heard a lot of good thing about FT-950, I never yet had QSO with person who are using FT-950 yet, however I had QSO on 2 meter who have FT-950. I personally like Yaesu Radio best, because I think their price is lowest among other manufactures. I never felt any of Yaesu radios to be inadequate in the passed. $1000 in 2012 is more like $400 in 1984 ?
  12. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well you can compare the Orion to an equal match the FTDX-5000 then the Yaesu is far ahead of the Ten Tec as shown in any test charts you want to compare. In fact the "Eagle" has a better receiver than the Orion if you care to check the Orion has fell behind a lot of rigs in recent years.

As far as bang for the buck the FT-950 is one of the "Best Buys" out there. I have had radios from all the 4 manufacturers most would consider and found none to top the 5000 so far or I would own it. For right now I have Yaesu, Icom, Midland for main rigs I'm not a brand person but a preformance and ease of use person the main reason I sold my K3.
  13. N0AZZ

N0AZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

You can do much better than that in fact. All you need to do is add if not present an IF out in the proper location and add a SRD with a full Spectrum Analyzer on a large display with really good filtering and point and click then you will see what your missing. I have scopes in most of my radios but they are toys compared to these. I have 2 different one's that I use with different radios SDRIQ and LP-PAN both are ran on a dedicated 27" monitor running split screen or single if I wish depending on what radios I'm running at the time.
  14. VE3FMC

VE3FMC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have owned my FT-950 for almost two years. Have not had any trouble with it. It serves my purpose. I am not a contester, big time DX'er. I like to rag chew and operate digital modes and it is good enough for that.

Sure there are better rigs on the market, for a lot more money. I also have an Icom 7000 and I will admit I like the filters in that little radio better than the ones in the FT-950. But all in all I am quite happy with my FT-950, it is my main radio.

I had a half hour QSO with another FT-950 owner last night on 40 M and he is quite happy with it. I use a Heil GM-5 mic with mine and always get very good audio reports.

Everyone has different tastes when it comes to radios. That is why it is almost impossible to tell a new ham what radio they should buy. You might like Ten Tec, I like Yaesu and someone else loves Kenwood or Icom.

I do wonder if my FT-950 will be around as long as the FT-101E I have here ;)
  15. AB3RI

AB3RI Ham Member QRZ Page

While I'll agree that the FT-950 (which is my current HF rig) is a very nice radio...for the all time favorites (that I've owned) are:

1. Ten Tec Jupiter
    2. Kenwood TS-850SAT
    3. Kenwood TS-830
    4. Kenwood TS-820
  16. W4AFB

W4AFB Guest

I will stick with my Flex 5000.
  17. AC0H

AC0H Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll never buy a Yaesu HF rig simply because of the FT-1000x key click fiasco.
    When a company is confronted with evidence from several reputable sources that their rigs a clicking up and down the band, and they ignore it.....FOR YEARS.....they get no support from me.
    They sold so many of the FT-1000 click masters it'll be years before we get the bands cleaned up.
  18. W0DV

W0DV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats on your new radio. I purchased my FT-950 in spring of 2009. I use it almost everyday and I couldn't be happier with it. I use a MD-100 desk mic with it, and have always received favorable reports on my audio quality. It's fun to play withe the EQ settings for the audio. For the money, I didn't see a better deal, and I still don't think there is a better deal out there.

I see some have chimed in comparing the FT-950 to radio's that cost 3 or 4 times as much, favoring their more expensive radio of course. Why do they do that? lol.

Have fun with your new rig!

19. W9CW

W9CW Ham Member QRZ Page

It wouldn't surprise me if they did ;), but the ham market is too tiny for them to ever consider entering the market. Not too many years ago, who would ever thought they'd enter the TV market... and yes, they are actually looking into the actual TV market, beyond their current "Apple TV" external box.

Perhaps I should have used another metaphor, rather than the most profitable company on the planet! Hi...
  20. AC0FP

AC0FP Ham Member QRZ Page

Experienced operators don't require spectrum scopes!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.