ad: dxeng

canned soup well beyond expiration date

Discussion in 'ex-Rag Chew Central' started by KA8RAW, Jul 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-assoc
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-rl
ad: l-Waters
ad: l-innov
ad: L-rfparts
  1. KA8RAW

KA8RAW Ham Member QRZ Page

Would it be a bad idea to eat soup that is 12 years past expiration date?
    I found a dozen cans of Campbells cream of asparagus soup in my pantry that has a 1997 expiration date. The cans show no signs of damage, and are not puffed out. The soup smells ok.

Do I toss the bunch out, that is today's one million dollar question?
  2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Try it, and we'll keep an eye on the Silent Keys column.:p

I'd toss it, myself.
  3. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd try it. Gotta be daring.
  4. KC0W

KC0W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You might want to ship it all to WA6MHZ. He won't let it go to waste.........He could pour it on top of his ramen noodles as he drives to work in the Blackwidow Mobile.

Tom KC0W
  5. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd give a call to Campbell's Consumer Hotline to find out, though they may automatically say that anything eaten after its expiration date isn't recommended.

Find a dog and let it lap it up: if it's dead in the morning then you'll know.
  6. N7RJD

N7RJD Ham Member QRZ Page

Go to the store and buy 12 new cans. Then take the 12 old cans and receipt back to the store and ask them why they are selling such old product.

Ok, don't actually do that, it's just not right. Besides there would be questions if you had the only cans returned plus the label has likely changed since then and would be very noticeable.
  7. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Save them another 12 years and sell them on Ebay. Campbell Soup might be bankrupt by then. :)
  8. N7RJD

N7RJD Ham Member QRZ Page

So you're thinking they're going to be Mmm, Mmm Broke?
  9. KC9JWA

KC9JWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hhehe , defintally pitch them it is not safe. Ebay yeah they buy anything.:rolleyes: Wa6mhz hehe your wrong but it is funny top ut it in his ramien soup.:eek: Always try it out on a guinepig.;)
  10. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Man up and suck it down!!
    It's only a can of soup.:rolleyes:
  11. NA4BH

NA4BH Ham Member QRZ Page

:D :D :D :D

I think the question should be:

Who eats cream of asparagus soup anyway? That would have been thrown out the day after it entered the house. I think I am getting "POTOMAC" poisoning just thinking about it. :D :D
  12. KA8RAW

KA8RAW Ham Member QRZ Page

Lots of good advice here.;)
    I can't resist tasting it, so I will. I will heat it up to a high temperature, that should be relatively safe. I suppose the best thing to do is dump it, I hate to see it go to waste, but 12 years is a wee bit too much,
    I would not have thought anything about it if it were 3 years or less since it is in a can, but 12 seems to be asking for trouble.

EDIT: I ate about 1/2 teaspoon full, It really don't taste any different that I can tell, in fact it was quite good.
    I am not going to push my luck, I did write Campbell soup, and am waiting their reply.
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  13. WB3JLA

WB3JLA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Printed from COOKS.COM

1 lg. onion
    1 stick butter
    1 c. flour
    2 qt. chicken stock, preferably homemade
    2 lbs. fresh asparagus
    1/2 c. heavy cream
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    8 oz. jumbo lump crab meat, thoroughly, picked of shell
    8 oz. shredded crab legs
    1 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
    1 pinch nutmeg

Melt butter in a large pot and simmer the finely minced onion until very soft and golden then add the flour and continue to cook another 5 minutes. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil.
    Trim the tips from the asparagus and reserve. Cut 1 inch away from the butt end of the asparagus and discard. Chop asparagus and cook in the broth 45 minutes or until asparagus is very tender.

Force the soup through a food mill or processor and strain out slightly thickened broth leaving only tough stringy asparagus remains. Return the pot to heat and add all the crab meat, remaining seasonings, and the reserves tips of asparagus and the heavy cream. Simmer 5-10 minutes. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
  14. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, that sounds delicous. I am SICK of Ramen! OH S***!!!!!!!!!!! I forgot to go to the Grocery store and buy 2 more cases!!! I AM OUT OF RAMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I will starve to death today now! Yesterday I only had a Hotdog and a Bowl of Rice to eat for the WHOLE DAY! So I am way undernourished, but have had to lose alotta weight with all the vehement excercise at the Purple Pig Picnic.

1 major Black Widow killed this morning, but 1 still remaining under the BlackWidowMobile and it is working on an EGGSACK!! If allowed to hatch, there will be BILLIONS of BWs in the BWM!!!!

15. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

Dude, take a can of hairspray and glue the sucker shut. The alcohol will be absorbed into the body to the spider. No more spider. no more egg sack.

16. W3BNY

W3BNY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thats just a swollen big toe in a pot! OW!!
  17. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Being absolutely FAMISHED, I took a run over to the FOOD4LESS and bought 2 more cases of Ramen. This might have been an expensive trip though.

As I made my left turn on the green arrow, at the stoplight, the RED LIGHT cameras all flashed. I looked again, and as I was completing the turn, the light was now a yellow arrow. I had done nothing wrong, but the cameras seemed to disagree. So I will sweat for a month now waiting to see if I get the M-Fing notice in the mail FINING ME for running a GREEN LIGHT!!!!

I am eating Ramen as I type. But the Sparrow Gus Soup sounds more exciting.
  18. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I have read (YES!) that such will not contain harmful bacteria. The only thing is that slow chemical changes may change the taste.

I have used canned food 30 years old, no problem.

Your idea of heating it can't hurt.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo
  19. WB3JLA

WB3JLA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Does asparagus soap turn green when it goes bad like bread

I wonder what color split pea soup turns when it goes bad

Does sour cream turn sweet
  20. KI4NGN

KI4NGN Ham Member QRZ Page

If it sucks in air when you open it, no problem.

If is releases pressure when you open it....well, I wouldn't eat it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.