Can you talk directly with another station using digital voice?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio Systems' started by N6JPA, Sep 9, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. N6JPA

N6JPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Everything I read about digital voice discusses working through a repeater or hot spot. Can a ham get on 146.520 to talk directly to another ham using C4FM/FDMA/DMR/TDMA/DSTAR? I've never used the mode so I am curious.

KX4O likes this.
  2. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, but don't do it on 146.52, you'll just make enemies, and rightfully so. Use 145.79.

3. AI7PM

In using DSTAR and DMR over time, I've found these to be generally accepted simplex freqs. 145.79, 145.41, 446.5, 446.075, 441.0, and 443.35.
    Check your local band plans for differences or additional freqs. Seriously, avoid using accepted analog freqs. such as 146.52, 55, 446.0, etc.

4. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

You might also want to check that little repeater callbook, generally sold for under $20.00 or through the league. Using a 'digital mode' on what is usually considered an FM voice repeater is almost the same as jamming. The other operators would typically complain that the 'noise' of your signal may have damaged their speakers. At the very least, check in with your local amateur radio clubs. They often have a 'digital net' check-in associated with their regular voice 'check-in' or ragchew nets. Others will likely help you find those clubs based upon your location as in your profile here on QRZ. Is that current? ( BTW- my e-mail is now at att.net, not comcast )

5. KD4UPL

KD4UPL Ham Member QRZ Page

I've used both DMR and C4FM on simplex. It works just fine. No repeater necessary. I have friends in the local club who use their DSTAR radios in simplex mode just fine. They also somehow have them linked with bluetooth to their phones so they can send text messages between their phones using the DSTAR radios. Again, no repeater needed.

6. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

YES

KX4O and K3XR like this.
  7. KC9ONY

KC9ONY Ham Member QRZ Page

Android App for Icom is RS-MS1A using Bluetooth or special data cable

https://www.icom.co.jp/world/products/amateur/options/rs-ms1A/

8. VE6MB

VE6MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought 145.79 was a bad choice because it was too close to the satellite sub band..... wasn't this the point of the APRS frequency QSY from 145.79 to 144.39Mhz years ago?

AG5DB and WD9EWK like this.
  9. AI7PM

News to me.

10. VE6MB

VE6MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is a source discussion the of APRS QSY....and it describes the problem with that particular frequency. 145.79Mhz should be avoided.

https://www.tapr.org/aprsqsy.html

"The Manned Space Community and the APRS community have a unique but common problem. Both require nationwide (APRS) or worldwide (manned space) frequency coordination to make their facet of amateur radio completely effective. Both have suffered significantly from 2 meter frequency interference and disjointed national and international frequency coordination. If the manned space frequencies are to achieve global coordination on 2 meters, they will require the use of 145.80 as a downlink frequency. This is within 10 kHz of the current 145.79 APRS frequency-resulting in a severe frequency interference problem."

AI7PM likes this.