ad: SOTA-1

Can you identify this tower and antenna?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N6DCN, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. N6DCN

N6DCN Ham Member

2. KF7DDF

KF7DDF Ham Member

Nope. But I like it. Whats the story behind it?

3. KC7YRA

KC7YRA Ham Member

I am gonna guess that the beam is homemade.

Brad

4. W8JI

W8JI Ham Member

Look like an old Hornet beam from the 60's or 70's.

Picture too far away to tell for sure though.

Not sure about the crank-up tower. Tri-ex maybe? I never installed any or owned any, but it looks like a good piece but older. Most new stuff has angle braces. Someone will recognize it. The exclusively horizontal braces are not common.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  5. N6DCN

N6DCN Ham Member

It's hard to tell with the tree but it has both Horizontal and semi vertical or actualy mabe X with horizontal straps

6. N6DCN

N6DCN Ham Member

close up of element

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  7. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member

My money is on the Hornet TB500.
    Not giving odds though...

8. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber

As for the tower, can you take a photo of the winch, and the area around the winch?

And maybe one close-up of one of the pulleys where the winch cable goes over to crank up the section above it?

9. N6DCN

N6DCN Ham Member

Qk got some with it on the ground. The bottom section is 17.5 " across. The tower stands 54 feet tall. Cranked all the way up. It is thre sections.

It has a couple of things in comon with my buddies Triex LM-354 The date on his is 1987

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. K4EEZ

K4EEZ Ham Member

that looks like its in good cond. just get rid of the rust spots, sand/dremmel it down take a look up close, if all is OK repaint it with galvanized paint and Bobs ya uncle...

amongst the Obvious replacement parts nuts bolts screws washers etc etc, i would also replace the pulley system guy wire and the drive belt, if the motor is frozen up, use some 3 in one oil around the shaft and all bearings let it soak for a day or two and work it by hand back and forth... :eek:
    my also want to replace the brushes in the Motor to and do the same to the wench gear, take a part strip down and re_grease everything, put back togeather...

make DARM sure the break and release is fully functional, coz if that tower comes slaming down, god help you...

just one hint, if you intend on using the motor system, make some sort of cover for it to keep the rain out of the motor section but allow air to pass thru it.

good luck in the project.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  11. WB2WIK

It does look like the previous generation Tri-Ex, before the LM-354. HZ-354 or something like that (it's been so long, I forgot!) from the 60s timeframe.

But it has that Tri-Ex tale-tell look, including the belt-driven drive system, which was a trademark of Tri-Ex tower going back to when Lou Tristao designed them (to be quiet and not transmit the motor sound into the tower).

If it's rust-free inside and out, you should be good to go. They hot dip galvanized their towers very, very well back then and many of them are still in good shape after 50 years.

12. N6DCN

N6DCN Ham Member

The motor and gear boxes purrrrr like a kitten. absolutly quiet. The cable is in good shape but I will replace it. The bolts are a little rusty and will be replaced. and the tower itself is 100% no rust.
    I am trying to find out what the model number is for permit purposes

13. WB2WIK

I see this guy sells the HZ tower instructions: http://www.w4qcfmanuals.com/manualsTH-Z.html

Not positive that will be what you need, but I think it's likely.

14. N6DCN

N6DCN Ham Member

Already has the cover :D

15. N6UGY

N6UGY Ham Member

Looks awesome Ron ! Nice :>)

16. K4EEZ

K4EEZ Ham Member

good looks like you got a deal on that tower looks good for it age
    sorry i could not help out on the ID but just wanted to add my 2 pence worth
    again good luck and 73

17. N6DCN

N6DCN Ham Member

This is as close as I have come to finding anything about this tower. A place called used towers dot com has these two pictures on their web site. All it says is 55' TRI-EX CRANK-UP TOWER, ESTATE SALE $2495.00 I call and he has no idea of the model #. QRU

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. WB2WIK

That 40 year-old hand-crank tower ain't worth $2495 by a long shot. I doubt he'll get it, unless he sells it to somebody who knows absolutely nothing about towers.

The motor driven version is worth a great deal more.

You can buy a brand new 51' 3-section crank-up from Tristao, complete with the base, rotor shelf, etc. for well under $2000 with current engineering prints, etc.

19. WB2WIK

Sorry, didn't mean "Tristao" (slip of the keys!), I meant "Tashjian."

Lou Tristao (SK) is the guy who designed all these towers.

20. WB2WIK

BTW, I found an old Tri-Ex ad that shows that tower as model HZ-354.

Three sections, 54 feet overall, HZ series. If you go to towertalk@contesting.com and ask around you might find someone who has original drawings -- I don't.

WB2WIK/6

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.