ad: Schulman-1

Can you give a reason for NOT getting a 7300?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KC3PJ, Mar 24, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Best thing about the 7300 is so many folks bought them early on and quite a few are now selling them and you can pick one up for around $800. Pretty good deal.

K0UO likes this.
  2. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Good decision. I sold my IC-7300 due to the noisy receiver. Many have for same reason.

3. G0GSR

G0GSR Ham Member QRZ Page

4. KD8UEI

KD8UEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Having recently decided between a 7300 and a 7100, I came down on the side of the 7100 because I refuse to buy an SDR. When you push a button or twist a knob on the 7300, you are merely changing a software parameter and not an actual RF circuit. I got into this hobby because I dreamed all my life of owning "real" radios, not a computer in a box. The push to menu driven radios was bad enough. My ideal radio right now is the Yaesu FTDX-5000. That is one cool radio, but alas, it is too expensive for me.

GM0MOP, VK6APZ and K5PO like this.
  5. KI5BMS

KI5BMS Ham Member QRZ Page

WOW. just get one,

6. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

I respect the opinions above,

I've stated at many times over the last three or four years since the 7300 came out "it's the Best Buy for a radio on the market today" for all the features and that's when it started at $1,400 now you can buy used one for 800. It's certainly one of the most popular radio sold in the last five years by huge margin

True it's not a $3,500 radio but it'll do a lot for $8oo or $900s.
    On the noisy issues it people have stated above, just remember it's not a $3,500 radio but for the "Priceline" it's one of the quietest receivers I have run when you set it up correctly, most people are not using the (IP+) function correctly.
    I know several guys including myself that run them mobile, the technology does wonders for all the man-made generated you'll find going up and down the road.

7. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

reason not to buy? none.
    have mine for 2 tears,love it,,,but,,i need a radio "fix" every 2-3 years so i just got a ft991a since ill never have a rig without a waterfall again.
    i like the feel and looks of the 991 but the screen is hopeless,almost useless. cant set it up like the 7300 and i cant see the clock!!!
    would i buy the 991 again, NO.
    would i buy the 7300 again ? YYEESS!!

oh not buy?, only if you can afford something better.

K0UO likes this.
  8. GM0MOP

GM0MOP Ham Member QRZ Page

It is over priced. Chinese would have made IC7300, and sold for £500?

9. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

ive had a 7300 for 2 yrs and love it. for my radio "fix' i got a 991a and loved it except for the screen that i found useless compared to the 7300. i really like the 991a but returned it,the scope is just no good...

10. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

On 40m, I know what he means.

I sold the 7300 and got an FTDX3000. I'm happy with the switch. The 7300 would be great as a portable radio, but if you live at a noisy QTH, the front end is a barn door against typical city noise. Specs be damned, I'm having 40m QSO's at over 5,000 miles again into the USA, from South Korea. Couldn't do that with the 7300. My noise levels were s9 consistently, and not enough attenuation, compared to the 3000. The 7300 does better in a crowd, but for hunt and peck DX, I am having better low band results on the 3000. On the high bands, it's a wash, but the 7300 is easier to operate there.