Can I use the Yaesu MH-59 mic with the FT-991

Discussion in 'Microphones, Speakers & Audio Processing' started by W8BYH, Sep 26, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W8BYH

W8BYH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

All,

First, thanks in advance for your assistance. I just picked up a Yaesu FT-991A and happen to have a spare Yaesu MH-59 mic left over from my Yaesu FT-857 days.

I can't find any documentation detailing just which radios the MH-59 mic can, and can't, be used with. So I figured I'd ask the assembled experts.

Does anyone know if the MH-59 can be used with the FT-991A?

Brian
    W8BYH

2. HB9PJT

HB9PJT Ham Member QRZ Page

On my FT-891, the MH-59 worked as a microphone, but the buttons didn't. I assume the situation is identical to the FT-991.

73, Peter - HB9PJT

3. N2PQW

N2PQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Great Question! I was curious myself, but I never made time to check it out, until just now.

I've just connected my MH-59A8J to my FT-991A, and here's what I've found.

The MICROPHONE and PTT work just fine, but the only keypad function I am able to engage is the "FAST" tuning, by pressing the orange FAST button. This works as expected, turning on the FAST indicator on the radio.

I can't say there is a difference in TX audio, but the web has many comments about the MH-59 having better quality sound than the stock, MH-31A8J mic. This may be the best reason for substitution, and perhaps from a function standpoint, the only one.

Enjoy the '991A! I know I do.

Cheers,
    David

4. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just a note... I'm often asked what mic I'm using, because my DX audio sounds so good out of my FT-891.

My mic is the original stock MH-31 that came with the radio.

I EQ'd it with these settings, which were determined by listening to websdr, then making a few minor tweaks as I listened through another radio.

http://thestingyham.blogspot.com/2017/10/yaesu-ft-891-mic-settings.html

N2PQW likes this.