can i use my user name if i want to transmit?

Discussion in 'Community Help Center' started by ANSYARI, Sep 13, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-assoc

    ANSYARI QRZ Member

    I dont have call sign but i have username,may be if i want transmit in the 40 metreband and i use my user name is a posible?
    Warm regards
  2. AF7TS

    AF7TS Ham Member QRZ Page

    In general you need an appropriate license to transmit on the 40 meter band.

    You may be able to transmit in band at extremely low power levels without a license.

    You don't say where you live, and rules in different countries are different, but as far as I know if you get an appropriate license you will be issued a call sign.

  3. K3XR

    K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

    Just curious what country allows transmitting on 40 meters without a license and what are those low power levels .
  4. WG7X

    WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page


    Just being a member on this, or any other website, does not allow you to use the ham bands in any way.

    As Jon mentioned, since we do not know where you live, it is difficult to tell you how to obtain an amateur radio license. All that we can say for sure is that all countries are required by international law to have a program whereby folks can get a license and get on the air. Requirements for licensing vary from country to country, but a license is always required.

    Can you help us out a bit and tell us where you live? Just the country would help we do not need an exact address.

    N6QIC likes this.
  5. AF7TS

    AF7TS Ham Member QRZ Page

    I am not certain about this, but I believe the US permits part 15 operation on all of the amateur bands, including intentional radiators. Part 15 devices are not permitted to cause interference.

    Arguably: a non-licensed user of a part 15 device could call CQ on an unused frequency in the amateur bands, perfectly legally. But an amateur would not be allowed to answer since we are not allowed to transmit to users of 'other services'.

  6. AA7EJ

    AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

    Little OT, but it may prompt further discussion here.

    Long, long time ago US federal government REQUIRED payment for issuance of license / call sign for usage of what is commonly known as "citizens band".
    It did not take long for uncle Sam to realize his error and he became busy refunding the fees and stopped issuing CB callings too. I believe the constitutionality of CB licensing was the reason.

    Regulating usage of public resource ( CB or ham radio) is a different issue and it is in the same category as using another public resources - likes speed limit in school zones, usage of seat belts etc.
    Such limiting regulations are needed because not every user of public resources is smart or considerate enough to limit himself.

    Using same logic - you should be able to use public resource - amateur 40 meters band - as long as you do not break any regulations regarding its usage.
    It should be immaterial HOW you identify yourself as long as you follow the applicable (US?) regulations.

    On the other hand you probably won't be operating motor vehicle on public roadway without drivers license, right?

    Besides, as pointed out be regulation experts, nobody will talk to you partially because amateur radio operators belong to closed society and anything out of the ordinary ( 59 QSL?) is too scary to participate in.

    Forget 40 meters - get a CB radio , you be much happier.

  7. N6QIC

    N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    No, this is a web site not radio. You need a license and call sign to transmit in the 40 meter band.
    You must also have a valid ham radio license and call sign to become a "ham member" on this site.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  8. AG6QR

    AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

    One of the applicable regulations is 97.5, which says you must have a license. Another one is 97.119, which prescribes HOW you must identify yourself using your FCC-issued callsign.

    So, yeah, as long as you follow those regulations, along with all the others, you're good.

    Other countries will have slightly different regulations, but they'll still generally require a license and identifying using a callsign.

Share This Page